Request For Feedback on GSoC Proposal

Hi Respected Community Members and Mentors,
I would like to contribute to the ‘Port fortran-lang.org to Sphinx’ under GSoC 22. I have drafted a proposal and I would Like to Request the mentors and Community to Review and give their valuable feed back.
Proposal
@awvwgk @milancurcic @lkedward

I apologise for the late Request for Feedback, due to which i will be available at anytime for your Feedback, Please Feel free to ping me anytime with your Feedback.

I also have mailed my Proposal to the Mentors for their feedback.

Thanks and Regards,
Henil Panchal

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the discourse.

If you haven’t already, please checkout Fortran Package Manager — Fortran Package Manager (source at GitHub - fortran-lang/fpm-docs: Documentation repository for the Fortran package manager (fpm)), which is the fpm user documentation built with sphinx / MyST markdown and also localized for six languages already. A similar toolchain might be used as starting point for the fortran-lang webpage (check the links in the README).

For the webpage there are several aspects to consider:

• continue to use markdown (MyST dialect), no reStructuredText
  • the layout of the landing page is unique, it uses a different template than the rest of the pages
    • overwrite HTML template / adjust CSS for a single page in sphinx?
  • the learn category fits best into the concept of sphinx and can easily be ported
  • the package index uses external data which must be loaded and displayed
    • develop sphinx extension to create docutil nodes in Python?
  • JS usage for community page to display activity feed, interactive contributor plots
  • bootstrap CSS usage only indirectly possible (sphinx-design)
  • translation capabilities come “for free” when transitioning to sphinx
1 Like

Respected Sir,
Thanks alot Sir for your Valuable feedback and your prompt response.
I have Made all the required Changes and uploaded my proposal for GSoC 2022.
Sir Should I keep this Project in Large Category or Medium category.
I have Currently Kept this Project in The Large Category.

The Updated Proposal Can be Found here : Port fortran-lang.org to Sphinx.pdf - Google Drive

Thanks and Regards,
Henil Panchal