New webpage is online

The new webpage for Fortran-lang is now online at The Fortran Programming Language — Fortran Programming Language.

Thanks a lot to the great work by Henil @henilp105 in his GSoC project!

If you find something missing, let us know, the old page is still around on the GH pages URL: Home - Fortran Programming Language. All URLs and bookmarks should continue to work as expected and send you to the right place on the new page, if not please let us know, we will add a redirect to the new location.

28 Likes

Thank you sir @awvwgk its great seeing the new site for fortran-lang , it would not have been possible for without your help and guidance sir, thanks a lot sir.

Thanks and Regards,
Henil Shalin Panchal

5 Likes

Thanks for the link and the new page.

One remark: maybe I had not noticed that before (on the old page) but I find it somewhat weird that the word Fortran does not appear in any of heading-like line, only in the ordinary paragraph text. So if anybody comes to this page by chance, sees a High performance parallel language but what a language is that?

I hate to do this but compare Julia main page: Full name in logo, Julia in the header “window” and Julia again in the first subheading (Julia in a nutshell)

8 Likes

We should make a full version of the Fortran logo. For most projects where I have a logo I now tend to make two versions, a small quadratic one and a full one, usually sharing the same shape and color scheme (like for TOML Fortran).

1 Like

I venture to suggest adding a donation button :100:

1 Like

I like the new website, and I agree that the word Fortran should be in the header of the page.

I see the new site can be used in several languages. I could help with the Spanish translation. Is there any group dealing with the translations or this work has not started yet?

1 Like

@Emilio Sir, we have started the translations using a web interface Weblate , please refer : GitHub - fortran-lang/webpage: New Fortran webpage regarding translations.
And they can be contributed on Fortran programming language/Fortran webpage @ Hosted Weblate .

Thanks and Regards,
Henil Shalin Panchal

CC @awvwgk

2 Likes

I have accessed the Weblate site and it looks nice but it says:

The translation is temporarily closed for contributions due to maintenance, please come back later.
The translation was automatically locked due to following alerts: Could not merge the repository.

So I couldn’t test it.

1 Like

@Emilio sorry for the inconvenience caused, we will be resolving that soon to make the web interface available.

Thanks and Regards,
Henil Shalin Panchal

Very good point by @msz59 .

@awvwgk , @henilp105 et al…

It will be nice if the main page highlighted Fortran front and center, say like so:

5 Likes

@FortranFan Thanks sir , We had discussed a similar idea in the meeting this week , I have implemented it on my fork and would be resolved in the upcoming PR.

Thanks and Regards,
Henil Shalin Panchal

CC @awvwgk

4 Likes

To add to the discussion: I would suggest adding some words explaining “Modern Fortran” in terms of the “new features or attracting features” in the very beginning (it helps the newcomer to feel the strength of the language).

Probably the new or attractive features might be:

• array declaration and handling (it is really easy to declare array variables like python)

• OO concept originating from derived types etc …

• do concurrent use to speed up the computation (not in detail but just to highlight and display what is there for the newcomer from the modern Fortran)

• Similar points to show the strengths of the "New avatar of Fortran or coming Fortran enhancements etc.

These are the few things in my personal opinion that MUST be highlighted in First page of the Fortran website.

1 Like

This is a terrific piece of work, well done!

I have spotted one funny: if I translate the site to Welsh, possibly using Google chrome’s build in service, I get the whole page translated, but if I ask for German on the top left drop down, only the central panel translates and the left and right panels stay in English.

Please do not read anything into my first two attempts being German and Welsh!

Well done again.

1 Like

@NormanKirkby thanks sir, actually the side panels in Sphinx are html templates instead of the markdown files thus this restricts our ability to translate the side panels.

Thanks and Regards,
Henil Shalin Panchal

CC @awvwgk

So going forward, which markdown is to be used with documents in the Learn
section? RST is typically used with Sphinx, but I see (artifacts?) things that make me
think it could be others. If more than one is supported, what is preferred?

Kramdown
Myst-Markdown
reStructuredText.

Now that the new format is available, I was thinking of adding the documentation for the
standard Fortran modules to the intrinsic descriptions and continuing some work on the
intrinsic descriptions.

1 Like

@urbanjost Sir, for site we have only used myst-markdown (extensively for the entire site except the intrinsics ) and kramdown ( for intrinsics) . Please feel free to use any one of them for adding the documentation.

(we are now not using the ReST for the site.)

Thanks and Regards,
Henil Shalin Panchal

CC @awvwgk

Hi @Emilio.
Yes. There is a Spanish translation.

1 Like

Hi Sebastian, @awvwgk.
Is it possible to load the existing po files?

I don’t think we actually had used po-files for our initial translation of the jekyll served page. The first attempt was using string replacement via keys or complete page replacement, if I recall correctly. The translated strings are of course usable, but I don’t think there is a way to automate the import due to the non-standard format.

3 Likes

Yes, it was string replacement in a _i18n subdirectory.

I have kept a copy of that site but I have problems running jekyll on my Ubuntu, probably a version problem (ruby 3.0). Anyway, I can access the code of the files. I am not sure it will be faster than working from the automatic translations proposed by weblate.

Note that the Fortran-lang.org site is still locked in weblate.