Promoting Fortran in non-English languages

The problem is that such a word is rarely (or never) unique, the only one possible translation. When there are no books published in local language (say, a Metcalf’s MFE translation), we have no “local standard” to follow.

1 Like

The selection of a specific word or term would require a consensus among the translators for a given language.

This consensus can occur according to the frequency of use, for example.

1 Like

@alozada, welcome to the forum!

@msz59 excellent point about vocabulary / terminology. Even before translating pages, I would love to have a section called vocabulary or terminology and have all the main terms translated to other languages.

As @alozada said, sometimes there is no established term. In that case we can at least list some candidates.

I should amend what I said above, that while I require English for documents that are to be read by international participants, I also like to speak Czech with just Czech people and I do not like mixing English terms in it. Having an agreed upon vocabulary of technical terms would greatly help.

I feel a vocabulary might be our first step as it would help translating down the road and help make progress in promoting Fortran in non-English languages, the original topic by @vmagnin.

3 Likes

I am glad you read the SymPy’s French translation. It helps to realize how hard it is to actually produce a high quality up to date translated version of pages. It’s quite a big task. But we can at least start with a vocabulary as I mentioned in my previous comment.

2 Likes

I have read the Terms and Conditions of the free version of DeepL:
https://www.deepl.com/pro-license#free

Both private and business use of the DeepL Translator (free) service are free of charge.

There is no restrictions: we can use it to ease our translation work.

Sorry @certik , no Czech language yet in that European tool :disappointed_relieved: :wink: But it appears in the long list of languages available in https://translate.google.com/ (I have not read their conditions).

1 Like

Some linguistic tools from my bookmarks that could be interesting:

Translation tools

Terminology tools

• https://iate.europa.eu/home “IATE ( Inter active Terminology for Europe) is the EU’s terminology database.”
  • https://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/TERMIUM Plus ®, one of the largest terminology and linguistic data banks in the world, gives you access to millions of terms in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.” Especially interesting for the English / French translation. It even knows what is a fork…

Bilingual dictionnaries

2 Likes

I can help with the Spanish version, now I am the owner of fortran.es

3 Likes

@awvwgk has now set the plugin to internationalize the site. See: Localization of the webpage · Issue #197 · fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org · GitHub

1 Like

I think that a potentially big audience that we should consider (and that would benefit significantly from this work) are Mandarin (and Cantonese?) speakers. In that case the “bubble” that @vmagnin has correctly described is much ticker and more resistant.

The problem is to find someone able to revise the automated translation that might be very poor. I know that it’s a tougher problem compared to what discussed so far, but I think there is a lot of untapped, rising potential among Chinese developers and the effort might pay dividends. (And no, unfortunately, I don’t know any Mandarin and Cantonese, unfortunately :cry: .)

2 Likes

Hi Emanuele @epagone ,
yes, we should not put online automated translations. We can use it as a tool to accelerate (or not…) our work, but my opinion is that it should always be revised and amended by a human being.

Perhaps there is already Chinese speakers here? And there is probably a lot of speakers in the American labs.

It does also depend on the Jekyll server support concerning Unicode characters.

Agreed.

It is with this hope that I typed my message: to throw the idea on the table and gauge if any Mandarin speaker is part of this discussion board.

Good point, I didn’t think about that. I don’t know.

1 Like

Well, there are. DeepL free plan limits the number of whole files (3/month) but also “Limited characters & volume” for ‘text translation’

2 Likes

@msz59 , you are right: if you want to translate files it’s three .docx or .pptx. And if you just translate paragraphs, you are limited to 5000 characters (at a time).

1 Like

You people are awesome, I wasn’t prepared for this taking off so fast, I better try to keep up with the infrastructure for the webpage.

Let’s see how soon we can make a multilingual fortran-lang webpage reality.

3 Likes

Fantastic! I will contribute the Serbian translation.

3 Likes

This is how the French version could look. I have just translated the top of the page and I don’t pretend it’s the definitive translation:

Other French speakers are welcome for help!
Note that concerning the paragraph, I have first used DeepL then improved its translation (“close to the metal” is not easy to translate for example ! I mean it can not be translated literally…).

2 Likes

In the good old days of active g95 development, the English manual was translated to Czech, German, Japanese, French, Spanish, and Russian. These manuals could be useful in translating Fortran-related terms.

3 Likes

This is great! Thank you, I just looked at it and it will be an invaluable source for the vocabulary.

1 Like

I don’t know if we have any computational linguists or Esperanto speaking scholars here, but there has been some interesting historical work done using Esperanto as a “bridge” language for machine translation, that I think deserves consideration.

3 Likes

Fortrano has a rather short Wikipedia page:

Last cited version is Fortran 90. To be updated…
And we could add the stdlibraro, the FPManaĝero, LFortrano, Fortrano-lang.org and gtk-fortrano and many other things… :wink: If there is a speaker with a sufficient level to edit the page? I learned it more than 15 years ago and I can still quite correctly read (~90%) but writing is a different issue… Not to mention the technical terms…

3 Likes