Fortran Weekly Idea

Hi guys,

I’m thinking of starting a subscription service where we work through a book one section or
example at a time, once a week. Each session would be done live,
with screen sharing and interaction from subscribers. The sessions would also be
recorded for anyone not able to attend live. All code would be written in Fortran
(to the extent possible).

I’m trying to get an idea of interest in such a service, what might people be willing to
pay for the service, and are there any particular books that would be most desired to
go through. Also, if you’re interested, what would be a good time of the week for the
sessions. My ideas for the first few books would be:

• Design Patterns - the (in)famous Gang of Four book
  • grokking algorithms - a collection of algorithms important for general software solutions
  • Scientific Software Design - modern software development techniques for Fortran development in scientific applications

So let me know what you guys think. If you’ve got ideas, I’d love to hear them.

5 Likes

Hi Brad,

I’m glad you’re thinking about it and I hope you find interest. I’m probably not the target audience–video is not my favorite format for learning–but I’ll chime in on what topics are interesting to me and how much I’d pay for something like this if I bought it.

Of your 3 suggestions, only Grokking Algorithms seems interesting to me.

But if I had a choice, I’d love to see either Crafting Interpreters by Bob Nystrom (this one is free in ebook format so listeners wouldn’t need to buy it on the side) or Writing an interpreter in Go by Thorsten Ball. I know, these would be quite challenging to implement in Fortran.

How much I’d pay? Probably the price of the book: ~$50.