Compaq Visual Fortran Lawrence Source Codes

Dear All,

I wonder if the source codes of abovementioned book still can be found somewhere. The links mentioned in the book don’t work anymore.
I also would like to know if this book is still relevant and can be used with Intel Visual Fortran.
I’m a retired structural engineer and refreshing my knowledge of Fortran.
Regards,
Roger

1 Like

Welcome to the Fortran Discourse @rmoortgat !

I do not have that book, but I used Digital/Compaq Visual Fortran a lot. It is now Intel, but you should have no problem running those codes. CVF was Fortran 95, so Intel compilers will have no problem with that. Concerning the Visual functions (Quickwin Library), I guess nothing probably changed for more than 20 years:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/fortran-compiler/developer-guide-reference/2023-1/quickwin-library-routines.html
except the name of the module which must now be imported with:

USE IFQWIN

Note that the documentation of Quickwin also says:

QuickWin applications are only supported for ifort.

Which means you can not use the new ifx LLVM-based compiler. I don’t know if this is definitive, or if ifx could support Quickwin in the future. It’s a library I enjoyed a lot at the beginning of my career.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Vincent!

I bought that book 20 years ago but never got through it.

I recently found it on the attic and since I have lots of time now, I decided to give it a second chance.

A pity that the code examples can’t be found anymore on the web.

Roger

Nice, have fun!

Note also that if you want to use QuickWin with Intel Fortran, it is only available in the Windows version, as Quickwin was a Microsoft library. Although it is also possible to use it under Linux via WineHQ:

The book is indexed by worldcat.org, both as physical copy and ebook. Else, it can be borrowed for an hour on archive.org. (It isn’t the sole item in the stacks of the later which replies by a search by Compaq+Visual+Fortran.)

You will be interested by this Intel white paper Porting Applications from Compaq* Visual Fortran to
Intel® Visual Fortran

Hello Vincent,

thank you for the paper. In the meantime I got the examples digitally.
I built the first one on my win 11 zbook and it ran without a problem.

Roger

Verzonden vanaf Outlook voor Android

2 Likes