The future of HPC programming - a Modern Fortran workshop

https://www.hpc2n.umu.se/events/courses/2022/modern-fortran

8 Likes

Thanks – added to the courses page at the Fortran Wiki.

Most workshops cover features already standardized and implemented in Fortran compilers, but this one is different. (One of the authors, Jonas Lindemann, has a more traditional site Modern Fortran in Science and Technology along these lines.) Regarding the 2nd paragraph below, are the authors in touch with @certik of LFortran?

Unlike C++ templates, Fortran templates are type-safe (strong concepts) and does not support meta-programming. This enables some very powerful programming techniques not matched by other high performance languages.

In this workshop we will give a hands-on preview of such techniques. This includes defining your own Fortran integrated domain specific programming languages (IDSLs) while benefitting from Fortran’s efficient code generation. We also look at the dichotomy between well-structured code and efficient code, and show some systematic transformations between these. Lastly, we suggest just-in-time compilation and interpreters for user defined Fortran IDSLs, achieving much of the same flexibility as the current integration of Fortran and Python.

I like the description of Fortran as the “primordial HPC language”.

4 Likes

Yes, I just got off the call with Magne, who co-organizes the workshop. We’ve been working together on implementing generics in LFortran and we are working on having a demo ready for the workshop.

If anyone is interested to help out, please get in touch!

3 Likes

@shahmoradi thanks for link, I am interested in attending this event (on zoom) , but I am not a SNIC user (located in India), but I am associated with Indian research institutes am I eligible to apply for the workshop?

Thanks and Regards,
Henil

1 Like

Hi @henilp105, you’re welcome; I have no affiliations with the organizers. But, I am reasonably optimistic that the organizers would welcome broadening their audience (unless the online and computing resources are limited, which is rarely the case these days). One thing is for sure; if you do not enroll, you won’t be able to attend the workshop.

1 Like

They say (in Eligibility):

The workshop is open to all SNIC users, prospective SNIC users and academics throughout the Nordic region.

Nordic region is typically defined to include Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Iceland. But they might be more south-open :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @shahmoradi , I will surely apply for the workshop. :smile:

Thanks and Regards,
Henil

Probably it depends heavily on whether one requests access to their HPC facility or not. I just applied, specifying my reasoning in the comments section, let’s see what happens :slight_smile:

(I would just do the hands on part on the HPC cluster of my university, which I’d prefer in general ai believe).

8 Likes