Parallel Programming with Coarrays in Fortran (blog post)

Please see post #3.

6 Likes

On the same blog, there is also:

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but I think the post I linked to may have been largely generated by an LLM, for these reasons:

1. I have not heard of the author before. His name is similar to Peter Norvig a known programmer. The About section on his site giving his background is fishy.
  2. Googling his name and claimed employer does not give evidence that someone by his name works there.
  3. In one post he writes,

To learn more, universities like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and organizations like the Exascale Computing Project host a plethora of Fortran resources and communities that dive deep into these topics.

I’m sure there are people at MIT using Fortran, but I wonder what “plethora of resources” he refers to. It seems like something an LLM could make up.

1. In another post about Fortran he writes

The built-in SORT was handy for small datasets, but it hit performance issues with larger ones.
Maybe Fortran should have a built-in SORT, but it does not.

1. In the same post he suggests manual loop unrolling for optimization. I don’t recall experts recommending that in recent decades. Compilers can do it.

2. He is recently prolific, with articles about languages other than Fortran, sometimes posted on the same day.

3. I think he is trying to earn commissions on Amazon sales through the auto-generated product reviews on his site.

4. The diagrams have messed up captions.

In the future I will be very wary of linking to blogs from authors I have not heard of before.

8 Likes

Thanks for pointing that. Sad world, I wanted to read those posts today. They really looked interesting at first sight…

I had just started reading the second one about Modern Fortran and noticed this common confusion:

The print *, is how you output to the console, with the asterisk (*) signifying the default output device (usually the console).

But of course the asterisk in print * corresponds to the second asterisk in write(*,*): the format.

2 Likes

Yes, the images seem all generated by AI, probably the text too. It is convincing at first sight though. Unfortunately the internet is being flooded by such AI generated content. At the end of the day, if the content itself is high quality and useful, I don’t care if it was generated by an AI. @Beliavsky if you consider a given content high quality, then I think you can post it. The above seems low quality, since the images are nonsense.

2 Likes

And also the code snippets are low-quality with some confusing bugs or typos.

1 Like