Problems accessing Discourse with Firefox

This may not exactly fit here, but I’d like to ask, am I the only person having severe problems reaching this website with the Firefox browser since a year or so. I am using (always latest) Firefox on several computers (Windows 10 systems, always updated) and this is in fact the only website I have only limited access to (difficult to view content) with it, and I can’t login with Firefox. Even with the latest Firefox, I am getting always the message ‘Unfortunately, your browser is unsupported. Please switch to a supported browser to view rich content, log in and reply. ‘

Regards

I just recently switched to Firefox because I got that same warning with my regular browser (which is an old Safari version that I cannot update). I’m using Firefox version 109.0.1, which I think is the latest version. As far as I can tell, everything seems to work alright at this site.

@Federchen I moved your question here, as I think you are talking about accessing this Discourse Forum, correct? That’s a separate problem from the fortran-lang website.

Let’s figure it out. I use Firefox 109.0.1 on macOS and it seems to work for me.

No problem to view and access the Fortran Discourse with Firefox 109 under Linux or Windows 10.
Maybe you have installed a plugin causing that problem? In the help menu, you can restart Firefox in Troubleshoot mode. It will temporarily desactivate all plugins. Is the problem still present?

2 Likes

No problem accessing Fortran Discourse here, with Firefox (either 102.7 ESR or 109) and two privacy plugins - in two GNU/Linux distributions, FreeBSD, and… that other operating system. If I were to guess, I’d say it’s probably a weird plugin that causes your problem, just as @vmagnin said.

1 Like

I only use firefox and I have had no problems so far.

2 Likes

My problem remains with Firefox on Windows 10 (different systems, 32 and 64 bit, on different computers) also with other Discourse sites. On Linux (same computers) Firefox works perfectly with Discourse.

I did try Firefox in Troubleshoot mode, and Discourse in safe mode: Fortran Discourse - Fortran open source community, but always the same, no rich content, no login, no reply.

And this for several month with always updated systems and updated Firefox. Firefox on these Windows 10 systems does work perfectly else. I am now using Edge for Discourse.

cheers

1 Like

Strange… Could it be linked to a security feature in your Windows? (antivirus, firewall…)

1 Like

Meanwhile, that’s my best guess as well. These computers have Avast One installed with Windows.

cheers

1 Like

Any time I had problems connecting, it was usually due to network issue – ie. only getting part of page source. If I used a different VPN IP or cleared browser cookies, I’d get back just fine.

Does anyone else experience a “Loading …” message forever with the Fortran Discourse page then failing to load on Windows 10 OS Enterprise version running Microsoft Edge browser and Zcalar and Microsoft Security for internet security in a corporate enterprise environment?
Picture (Device Independent Bitmap) 1

We have a new experimental scientist in our customer team, she is interested in trying out a computational career for some time in order to care for and be next to her ailing parents in another country and thus be able to work remotely. She is learning C#, C++, and Python. She has used MATLAB and some Visual Basic for Applications in Microsoft Excel. After a separate work meeting with me, she got interested in Fortran and took a look at fortran-lang.org which was fine. However she has not been able to load the Fortran Discourse page on her workstation. She tells me she then tried several of her lab colleagues’ computers and none of them were able to load the Discourse page.

The above is a screenshot she notices in the Edge browser.

Is there something that prevents the Discourse page from working in corporate Microsoft-centric environments?

Can this be related somehow to the Fortran Discourse not showing up on Microsoft Bing?

1 Like

I confirm the same behavior from my home desktop computer, many times using Firefox broweser. And I had the impression that it may be due to internet connection problem.

1 Like

I have no problem with Firefox. This is the version I am using, see below,

I asked chatgpt, below is its answer,

You may search things like “firefox cannot login to websites” in google, here are some results may be useful,

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1326841
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1294835

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1317358
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1271239

2 Likes

I have the latest firefox as well but I end up having to use chrome to avoid issues with the text editor! Something is VERY wrong with the way this website works!

Knarfnarf

These kinds of issues have the best chance to be addressed at https://meta.discourse.org/. It’s fine to post here also, however, FD admins are unlikely to be able to help. Like you, we’re users of the service and don’t have control over how the website data is served to your browser.

1 Like