Looking for students to improve GFortran as part of GSoC 2021

GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), which also contains the GFortran complier, is looking for students who would help improve the Fortran front-end and get paid for it under the Google Summer of Code (GSoC)program.

The Google Summer of Code is opened to students accepted into a post-secondary academic program which, once accepted, will work on projects which are supposed to take approximately 175 hours over 10-week coding period in June, July and August. If they successfully complete it, Google will pay them a stipend ranging from USD 1500 to USD 3300 depending on where they live. More information on the program is at its official site: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

GNU Compiler Collection is going to apply as a mentoring organization and we are especially looking for students willing to take up projects improving our Fortran compiler. If interested, please look at our page for interested students: SummerOfCode - GCC Wiki

You will find three specific Fortran ideas for a GSoC project on the page but we are always opened to consider those that students come up with themselves. The compiler, including the Fortran front-end, is written in C/C++ and the work is likely to be challenging but rewarding beyond just the stipend.

Please consider applying if you are a student. We will be very grateful if you can help us to spread the word about this opportunity so that it reaches more potential participants.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to the entire GCC community by posting an email to our mailing list gcc@gcc.gnu.org (and put “GSoC” to the subject somewhere). If you prefer to ask just me, I’ll also be glad to answer any questions sent to mjambor@suse.cz.

8 Likes

Good luck with gfortran GSoC efforts.

Few 20-year-old computer science students know anything about Fortran, except that it is old. For those who are open-minded, I think a few sentences about why modern Fortran and gfortran are important, with links to to more information, are needed. What are the “coolest” projects that use gfortran? In particular, for the 3rd project, Fortran – shared-memory coarrays, what are some projects that use Fortran coarrays and that would benefit from further development?

Typos – “implizit” => “implicit” and “parallizing” => “parallelizing”.

1 Like

Could you summarize what the minimum requirements are for the applicants? I looked at the pages mentioned but did not find any direct information about it. Depending on the criteria, I may be able to introduce some potential applicants.
Thanks!

That would be wonderful. The technical requirement is simple: The student has to be able to contribute patches to a large C++ project, which the GFortran compiler is. The run-time library, which might also be modified as part of some of the project, is written in C. The student does not have to have a great deal of knowledge of Fortran, actually. Of course, it is also a great opportunity for those that have it to learn how the compiler works under the hood.

The applicant must also be willing to assign copyright for those patches to the Free Software Foundation and fulfill Google eligibility criteria (which I have copied below from Frequently Asked Questions  |  Google Summer of Code  |  Google Developers):

• [The students] must be at least 18 years of age when they register
  • [The student] must be enrolled in or accepted into a post-secondary academic program, including a college, university, masters program, PhD program, undergraduate program, licensed coding school or similar type of program as of May 17, 2021 or have graduated from the program between December 1, 2020 and May 17, 2021.
  • [The students] must be eligible to work in the country they will reside in during the program.
  • [The student] has not already been accepted as a Student in GSoC two or more times.
  • [The student] must reside in a country that is not currently embargoed by the United States. See Program Rules for more information.

Thanks a lot in advance again, if you have any further questions or comments, let me know.

1 Like

Is there any similar initiative to improve Fortran support on LLVM?

There will be a discussion today on the ideas we have been tossing around - Lfortran is one.

See https://github.com/fortran-lang/fpm/discussions/33, in particular the result of the doodle by MIlan Curcic.

Just a quick update: GCC has been accepted as a GSoC mentoring organization and so if there happens to be any student who would like to improve gfortran and get paid for it, please apply. Thanks!

3 Likes