GSoC 2023 - Interest in Optimizers in a deep learning framework project | Fortran

Hello Fortran Community,

I am writing to express my interest in participating in the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2023 program and contributing to the Optimizers in a deep learning framework project under your mentorship.

As a final year Btech student at VJTI, India. I have a strong expertise in Deep learning and Software development. I have participated twice in a similar open source program arranged by ISCAS China, where I gained valuable experience working with a community of developers.

I am particularly excited about the project and believe that my skills and experience make me a strong candidate for contributing to its development. I look forward to discussing my qualifications further and learning more about the project.

Resume @milancurcic

Best regards,
Saurabh

6 Likes

Hi @Saurabh25,

Welcome to Fortran-lang Discourse and thank you for showing interest in this yearā€™s GSoC.
In case you missed it, here is a post with instructions on how to proceed:

On the Contribution Instructions make sure you donā€™t forget point 4. Patch requirement .

Best of luck with your patch and application!

3 Likes

@Saurabh25, regarding the patch requirement as part of the application, besides the Fortran-lang projects listed you can also review

and open a small PR there, considering your interest and experience. A leaky ReLU or some other activation function would be a relatively low-effort but meaningful PR.

1 Like

Thanks for reply @milancurcic and @gnikit,
Iā€™ll get familiar with fortran-neural repository and will send a PR for leaky relu activation as soon as possible.

@milancurcic I have submitted the PR, please review and suggest further steps.

2 Likes

Hello @milancurcic,

Now that I have completed the patch requirement, should I share my draft proposal here?

1 Like

Yes, we do encourage sharing early drafts of GSoC proposals for feedback.

@milancurcic and @jeremie.vandenplas

I have thoroughly researched and analyzed the Optimizers in a deep learning framework project requirements and come up with a proposed solution that I believe would meet the projectā€™s objectives.

I have attached the draft proposal for your review.

Additionally, if there are any specific changes or improvements that you would like me to incorporate into the proposal, please let me know, and I will make the necessary adjustments.

@milancurcic,@gnikit and @jeremie.vandenplas

I understand that you may be busy with other tasks, but I would greatly appreciate it if you could spare a few minutes to review my draft proposal and provide any feedback or suggestions for improvement. Your guidance and expertise would be invaluable to me as I continue to refine my proposal.

Attached is the link to my draft proposal once again: GSoC_Draft_Proposal_Fortran - Google Docs

1 Like

Thanks, @Saurabh25, will write some feedback here in a day or two. Your current draft is going in a good direction.

1 Like

the proposal looks good to me. After a quick read, I only had a couple of minor comments. I will read it again in the next few days.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback @jeremie.vandenplas, I have resolved those minor comments.

@Saurabh25, thank you, the proposal is in good shape. I left a few suggestions for improvement.

1 Like

@milancurcic Thank you for your feedback and comments, as per your suggestions I have added the following sections in the proposal, please review them as per your convenience:

• Potential Challenges and Mitigation
  • Refactoring the Training Process for Optimizer Flexibility

Thank you @Saurabh25 . I read the new sections, and it sounds good to me.

2 Likes

@jeremie.vandenplas, @milancurcic

As the deadline for proposal submission is getting closer, I wanted to ask if there are any further changes or improvements that you would recommend before submission.

Also, I would appreciate it if you could please confirm the project duration (175 Hrs or 350 Hrs), as I need to include this information in my submission on the GSoC portal.

2 Likes

Noā€“please go ahead and submit to GSoC. 175 hrs seems appropriate.

1 Like

Sure!, Thank you for your suggestions and feedback @milancurcic & @jeremie.vandenplas

1 Like

@milancurcic, @jeremie.vandenplas
Please confirm that you can view my submission on the GSoC portal.

2 Likes

I can see it nowā€“thank you for confirming.

1 Like