Fortran or the T-Rex on Mastodon 🦣

Fortran :t_rex: is also on Mastodon :mammoth:. I have found those hashtags: #fortran, #FortranConf, #fortranlang, #HPC

To join Mastodon, you need to register on an instance of Mastodon, for example https://mastodon.social/ or https://floss.social/ (Free, Libre, and Open Source Software).

5 Likes

See also:

2 Likes

I’m on Mastodon - @SteveLionel@masto.ai I’m not yet posting much Fortran stuff there, as that’s not my approach there. One problem (at the moment) is that searching on hashtags happens on your server only - you can’t search hashtags used on other servers (and there are LOTS of servers). Supposedly being able to follow a hashtag is coming soon, but I don’t know if that will be cross-server.

If you’re interested, How to Join the Twitter Alternative Mastodon (gizmodo.com) is a good overview. The masto.ai server is general-purpose and is run by one of the more popular admins.

4 Likes

Very interesting, thank you!

1 Like

Do you mean searching hashtags themselves or searching posts containing those hashtags? On my instance @floss.social, if I click on the #fortran hashtag, I obtain posts made on many other instances.

Personally, I was attracted there by the new @GTK@floss.social channel. But it seems some practice and readings are necessary to fully understand how Mastodon works, how instances interact, etc.

Yep, you’re right - if you search for a hashtag, it pulls up references across all servers. I must have misunderstood a description somewhere. You still can’t yet follow a hashtag, but that is supposed to be coming soon.

1 Like

I am not sure, as there are more than 5000 instances around the world, I doubt the response could be so fast.

I think you see in the results only the external posts that were shared by people on your instance. And they can share them because they follow those people on the other instances. If I have understood https://mastodon.help/#SearchingThings

We need some practice to fully understood how it works… :sweat_smile:

Yes, you’re correct on that.

It says:

“If you search an hashtag it will not list all the posts from all the existing instances containing it but only the posts published by users that your instance knows.”

1 Like

I’m there :grinning:

omaclaren@mastodon.social

(@omaclaren@mastodon.social)

I’ve used #fortranlang and #fortran so far

1 Like

I’ve seen you!
Don’t forget the first @ on Mastodon. If I have understood, people on the @mastodon.social instance can send you messages with @omaclaren, and people on other instances with @omaclaren@mastodon.social

1 Like

Unhappily (or happily) for us, it seems hashtags are not case sensitive:
#Fortran \equiv #fortran \equiv #FORTRAN

\Rightarrow -std=legacy \equiv -std=f2018 :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Met on Mastodon:

We are a community of high performance computing practitioners and friends. This is our Github space, and some links to help you find what you are looking for.

Their Mastodon instance is:

2 Likes

Doctor Fortran hung a shingle out at @DoctorFortran@mast.hpc.social

2 Likes

For its 75 years, the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) has just created its Mastodon account @ACM@mastodon.acm.org
and even its own instance: