Fortran Monthly Call: June 2021

Dear all,

It’s again time to organise our next monthly call which will be in the week of June 14-18; please see the following doodle poll to mark your availability:

Doodle: Fortran Monthly Call: June 2021

The final time slot will be selected and announced on the evening (European time) of Sunday June 6, please complete the poll before then .

If there are specific topics or issues you would like to raise, even if you are unable to attend the call, please post them in the thread here.
As usual, we will record this call and make it available online.

All the best,

Jeremie

1 Like

A suggestion for a topic for the upcoming call, or at a later date, is gfortran and how the Community can get involved with gfortran development.

4 Likes

I would like to propose to discuss “maintaining packages under fortran-lang”:

Add QUADPACK to `fpm` registry · Issue #43 · fortran-lang/fpm-registry · GitHub

4 Likes

Don’t forget to complete the poll :wink:
Please also add items to the agenda!

Our next monthly call will be on Tuesday, June 15 at 18:00 UTC .

11:00 - 12:00 PDT (California)
19:00 - 20:00 EST (London)
20:00 - 21:00 CEST (Central Europe)

As previously, the meeting will be recorded for those who cannot attend.

Please continue to use this thread for topics you would like discussed at the meeting.
A Zoom invitation will follow soon.

Note: Anyone who is interested is welcome to join!

I found this rant

and think that there are some valid points (not about stdlib and community of course :wink: ).
It think it would be interesting to get the opinion, especially with respect to future Fortran standards.

1 Like

@MarDie, please see this thread where the author @zmi of that blog you referenced has provided some comments.

Re: “It think it would be interesting to get the opinion,” it will be useful if you can provide your input at the GitHub site for Fortran proposals, particularly toward this item:

You can also start another thread here and express your opinion if that is the approach you prefer, especially with future standard revisions that may then start a discourse with more readers chiming in.

Once enough feedback can be collected, agree it will be a good discussion topic for a monthly call.

Thanks @FortranFan, I have just replied there, so I am not going to repeat it here:

I’ll just say that I would like to add this to discuss at the call.

I agree with the “rant”, and I personally consider things dire, but at the same time, we are now fixing almost everything from the list, and I believe we need people to give us a chance for about 3 years from now. In 3 years I believe we might be able to convince a lot of people that Fortran has a future. Fortran in some sense has a “technical debt”, so I think people understand that it takes time to fix, as long as our plan is solid and we are making fast enough progress. I think we are.

3 Likes

Here’s the Zoom info for the call:

Topic: Fortran Monthly Call: June 2021
Time: Jun 15, 2021 06:00 PM Universal Time UTC

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 963 5992 4094
One tap mobile
+16465588656,96359924094# US (New York)

Dial by your location
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+39 020 066 7245 Italy
+39 021 241 28 823 Italy
+39 069 480 6488 Italy
Find your local number: https://miami.zoom.us/u/aeD3Y0vPf1

Join by SIP
96359924094@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323
162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)
213.244.140.110 (Germany)
103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney)
103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne)
64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto)
65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver)

1 Like

The agenda for this Fortran monthly call is currently as follows:

1) Maintaining packages under fortran-lang (@certik; see https://github.com/fortran-lang/fpm-registry/issues/43#issuecomment-849939516 for more details)
2) Long term vision for Fortran (@mardie, @certik, @zmi; see https://github.com/j3-fortran/fortran_proposals/issues/59)

Do not hesitate to submit other items.

1 Like

Here is a TODO list for myself, based on the call:

• @MarDie, would you mind writing up all the things that Fortran should improve? I can then address it how I think our efforts will fix it and we can debate.

• I would like to brainstorm and write down what goals I would like to see done by Spring 2024 (3 years from now). That way we can judge, as a community, whether we are on track to achieve those goals, and also whether we would be satisfied in 3 years of those goals were met.

• I would like to create our own metric how to judge if we are doing well with regards to other languages as well as Fortran itself (in time). The best idea I have so far is the number of new projects created at GitHub (in a given month) in a given language, and plot this over time. Another idea is the number of contributors to all projects in a given language, as a plot in time. Another one is the number of patches, the number of pull requests, the number of issues or issues comments. The languages of interest could be Fortran, Julia, Matlab, Python, C++ and Rust.

5 Likes

A long-term perspective is important, not only for Fortran, but also for projects like stdlib, fpm and our webpage. Also, a three-year goal is long into the future, setting milestones for the end of the year might be helpful to create concrete tasks to accomplish in the short term and move forward.

For fpm a thread for the next steps was already opened here beginning of this year, but I think we didn’t really arrive at a clear long-term goal at this point.

1 Like

Yes, I meant goals for Fortran in general, which includes stdlib, fpm, fortran-lang.org, Discourse, LFortran, … Yes, we should brainstorm with individual projects, and then I would like to write it up as a mission statement.

I created a wiki page at fortran-lang.org to collectively work on our long-term vision for Fortran and our fortran-lang projects:

I made the wiki on the fortran-lang.org repository world editable, everybody with a GitHub account can contribute there.

6 Likes

Thanks @awvwgk. I added some initial goals for LFortran. I’ll add more for other projects soon.

1 Like

Apologies, I was unable to attend due to being away this last week - is there a recording of the call available?

Yes, but I haven’t uploaded it yet. I hope today–stay tuned.

1 Like

I apologize for the delay, here’s the recording of the call:

4 Likes