Simple hash table implementation

Hi @zmi, thanks for the feedback and the document you wrote. Why don’t you join us at the next Fortran video call and let’s discuss? I agree with almost everything you wrote (the little things I might disagree are not important to discuss right now). That is the main reason I got involved, because at around the same time you wrote this, I realized the same thing. Here are my thoughts how to fix pretty much everything you mentioned as well as our current progress / status:

Resurrecting Fortran

And yes, things are not fixed yet, but I believe we have a plan and initial implementation or effort of almost everything you mentioned. Yes, all this work should have been started 20 years ago, and yes, it cannot be fixed over night, so even though we started serious work on fixing all that, it’s is still not fixed. I believe a reasonable time frame is 3 years from now to either fix or make very serious progress on all these fronts.

But the way I see it is really simple: we either give up on Fortran, and then nothing gets fixed. Or we try fixing it. I chose the latter and that is precisely what we are doing.

If you see any of your points that you think we are not fixing, please let me know and let’s discuss.

1 Like