Fortran-lang no longer in Bing

Is it not possible to remove totally the old version from the web?
And transform the archived GitHub repository into a private repository? (therefore accessible only by the members of the organization).

Google correctly downranked the legacy site soon after the new one was published. Websites with duplicate content can be handled with rel=canonical HTML attributes. I don’t know if they were applied on the new site.

We can unpublish the old site but the repo should remain public.

4 Likes

@milancurcic sir, We had applied the canonical link by html_baseurl, but the links href were not matching (due to github pages url) , but now I have added canonical links by custom template in PR #241 . I would like to request to please review the PR.

Thanks,
Henil

2 posts were split to a new topic: Problems accessing Discourse with Firefox

The third result (including Wikipedia) in my Bing is now https://fortran-lang.github.io/fortran-lang.org/ (the ancient homepage):

@henilp105 do you have any updates on this?

It is still not fixed for me. I have also created an issue The website is not being indexed by Bing · Issue #266 · fortran-lang/webpage · GitHub to track this.

2 Likes

Hi @certik ,
I have created a pr at old website , fix canonical links for crawlers by henilp105 · Pull Request #421 · fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org · GitHub , can you please review it, let’s check the results for 3-4 days it would most likely work, if it doesn’t work then we would have to archive the old website (pull the old website’s GitHub pages) , we can surely keep the repository public.

Thanks and Regards,
Henil

1 Like

Thanks @henilp105! Can you please keep an eye on it, and if it does not get fixed, to ping me here?

1 Like

Sure @certik.

1 Like

@certik , I have been keeping an eye on it and it hasn’t been resolved yet, I suggest that in the old webpage we can add the redirect to the new page, which will resolve the problem for all the search engines , I have opened PR for the same Add redirects to new webpage by henilp105 · Pull Request #423 · fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org · GitHub, but I would like to have review from the admins and community as this would make the old page inaccessible by url ( repo is surely open) .

Thanks and Regards,
Henil

3 Likes

Thank you @henilp105, great job. I merged it, as the highest priority is to figure out how to get back into the search engines. Let’s wait another couple days and see if things improve. Thank you for keeping an eye on this.

I really appreciate your help with this. I am hoping this will help. If it doesn’t, we’ll figure out how to get this fixed.

2 Likes

Thanks alot @certik for your prompt fix, I have checked at bing now we are able to redirect to the new webpage. although we see the old url but the site is the latest webpage.

2 Likes

Very good! I think the search engine will catch up and change it. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

On my side of the world, the ancient homepage has now disappeared from the Bing results. The “new” Fortran-lang.org is at the top of the page 7.

I guess (hope) we now just have to wait for the bubble to go up :champagne: in Bing. Then it should also reappear in the other search engines using Bing results (for the moment, nothing in Qwant).

2 Likes

Nothing in DuckDuckGo either (I think they also use Bing).

2 Likes

Ok, so far nothing in Bing (or DuckDuckGo).

@henilp105 do you have any other idea how to fix it?

Maybe we could try to re-add the site in Bing?
https://www.bing.com/webmasters/help/add-and-verify-site-12184f8b

That’s something we already did.

1 Like

With apologies to Professor Tolkien :smile:

One Bing to rule them all
One Bing to find them
One Bing to search them all
and with a EULA bind them
In the land of Redmond
Where “truths” are shallow lies

I guess fortran-lang is cloaked in a Shroud of Invisibility that even the All Seeing Eye of Micro-Sauron cannot penetrate. Also not seeing it on my system (Firefox 102.0.1 and DuckDuckGo). LFortran does show up on page three I think if thats any consolation.

Ok, I think this is now becoming urgent. CC @milancurcic, @awvwgk, @lkedward, @gnikit, bringing this to your attention. We need help, above you can see what we tried. Thank you @henilp105 for all your help with fixing everything you and we could think of.

We worked very hard to create a website for Fortran that appears when you search “fortran” in every search engine. We succeeded. Then starting about half a year ago all search engines except Google stopped indexing the site. I wasn’t worried at first, but it is now obvious this is not some temporary glitch, right now we are truly excluded from the index for good, unless we do something, but it is not obvious what we should do.

2 Likes