Fortran AI images

Haven’t had time to spend on the mascot graphic yet, but this is roughly the dynamic that I have in mind, just not as realistic. It would be more of a cartoon adaptation, like Tux for instance.

Dürer’s hare is static, but looks strong (maybe even a little fierce?). It is even available under Windows (the reflection of a window can be seen in its eye :wink: )…

Need a predator animal, not a prey one. A cheetah or falcon or other bird of prey. :grinning:

2 Likes

Well rabbits eat carrots, isn’t it? That’s vegan predation.

But yes, Pythons could eat rabbits…

1 Like

Your sight is better than mine. Hare’s rabbit really looks too cuddly for me. Makes me wanna drop-kick it :soccer: :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe better go for a Force of nature, something like Thunder? Fortraners out there are dealing with fundamental forces at every scale :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, these are good ideas. Cheetahs in particular would make nice mascots, but they are not particularly fierce either. You never see them picking a fight with other predators. Their “superpower” is speed, and it is comparable to a hare’s.

The rabbit idea transpired from Vincent’s Monty Python skit where a harmless looking rabbit turned out to be a fierce predator. I see a parallel with how Fortran is widely viewed as ineffective in the general scientific computing community, although it is really a fierce and highly effective computing predator.

ALL ideas are welcome. If anybody has other suggestions, by all means bring them to the table. Maybe we should move the discussion to a thread dedicated to the mascot theme…

Interesting! Can you contribute a tentative design?

What did Geert Jan Bex (Vlaams Supercomputer Centrum, @gjbex) see when reporting “[Fortran is] the powerful creature that has things like this [shoes labeled Python] for breakfast” (video to announce one of his classes, around 1:24 mn) …

1 Like

The Bing AI image creator can always be counted on to generate amazing nonsense! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

At 2:44 min of the video we see shadows on the wall suggesting Bex taming a wild T-Rex beast in rodeo fashion. Pretty flashy, but dinos are mostly extinct :unamused:

We need to highlight Fortran’s survival spirit.

It’s a start. Even has the lightning bolt that @hkvzjal suggested. I would clean up the mainframe stuff around it and focus on the eagle alone.

:laughing:

4 Likes

Just having a bit fun here with Bing’s service for Dall E: (not the idea I had in mind but this gave me a good laugh)

1 Like

I am Fortran! :rofl:

1 Like

This is getting interesting :thinking:

1 Like

As the discussion was quickly hijacked, a possibility would be that @zaikunzhang , the original poster, modify its title with something like “Is Fortran a fierce language?”

Or most messages could be moved to the recent thread Fortran Marketing Theme

You got my vote there…

I hope all these AI pictures could be soon found in image search engines when searching “Fortran”. That is new Fortran imagery (Reviewing all "Fortran" Wikipedia pages & improving Fortran imagery).