Errata list for "Modern Fortran Explained"

Since the latest edition of “Modern Fortran Explained” was published over two years ago, a number of errors and other infelicities have come to light. Further, a number of interpretations of the standard by the standards committees require modifications to the book.

These changes will be incorporated progressively into future printings but, in the meanwhile, the most important ones have been gathered into an errata file, as promised at the bottom of p. vii of the book:

ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf

We hope this is of some use.

Regards,

Mike Metcalf

P.S. For some obscure reason, the file seems to be inaccessible to the Microsoft Edge browser.

9 Likes

It’s also inaccessible with Firefox. Most browsers are now dropping the ftp protocol, considered insecure (and their code is old).

I tried to use wget, curl and ftp but did not succeed… (proxy problem)

I was able to download it using FileZilla but with unsecure protocol.

1 Like

Many thanks for all the feedback. We will investigate a more modern approach and post it here.

Regards,

Mike Metcalf

3 Likes
$ wget ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf

did the job at home, but not in my office because of the proxy.

1 Like

It appears as if the FTP server is down; I can’t get there by any normal means, and nmap shows the ftp port to be closed.

@tmj,

Welcome to Fortran Discourse!

Attention @m_b_metcalf , perhaps you have some other option available for the readers of your book?

Unfortunately, security considerations mean that this file is no longer available, and no simple alternative was possible. I am currently away from home, but will post the file here in 10 days or so.

Please note that a completely restructered and revised version of MFE, also incorporating Fortran 2023, will be published late this year. It will reference many files that will be available to download from a companion website provided by our publisher.

Watch tis space.

HTH

Mike

13 Likes

Mike, congrats on the upcoming new edition, I look forward to it. Can you at this time reveal what color will be the book cover?

1 Like

Good question: we’re currently negotiating that with OUP.

Mike

Purple?

1 Like

lgtm…

Edit: I took the red book and modified the hue by -70 in gimp.

5 Likes

I always found it strange the cover of such an important book on modern Fortran shows in the background Fortran code snippet toward a object-oriented (OO) approach toward programming.

Yet the OO paradigm gets quite low priority when it comes to enhancements to the language standard, this in spite of two of the authors being extremely influential forces on the standard committee!

It would be nice if one could buy both the print and e-book version at a discount, since people will both read the book straight through and later use it as a reference.

I look forward to two other books on Fortran that Amazon says will be published this year.

Maybe we could have really cool hand colored drawings of people in native costumes from around the world. Oh wait. That idea is already taken :slightly_smiling_face:
Yours was from Finland if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Why not provide a dropbox link or similar ?
This might satisfy the more modern approach !

I had archived this directory on that FTP server previously. See here for a mirror: ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MandR/ : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

(If Michael Metcalf or any other authors object, I can take the mirror down.)

Hosting on a community website like the fortran-lang website or the publisher’s website would be preferred. I recommend against Dropbox in the long term as the Internet Archive Wayback Machine tends to not archive Dropbox links in my experience. FTP also isn’t included in the Wayback Machine, but some people manually upload mirrors of FTP servers to the Internet Archive, as I did here.

On a related note, I have a GitHub repository with a fork of Michael Metcalf’s convert.f90 including a test file he sent me that I don’t think he’s posted elsewhere.

Also, a lot of nice Fortran resources have disappeared from the internet. If you’ve saved some nice resources that are no longer available and you can make them available, I’d recommend doing so. Uploading files to the Internet Archive is straightforward.

1 Like

Thank you @btrettel but when I looked at that directory it seemed to give errata to the F2003 edition. What Mike Metcalf intends to make available is errata to the F2008/2018 edition of Modern Fortran Explained. (I am one of many people keenly awaiting the F2023 edition.)

The directory contains errata for multiple books. The filenames aren’t clear, however. edits.pdf is the “Errata list for Modern Fortran Explained Incorporating Fortran 2018 (Metcalf, Reid and Cohen, OUP)”.

1 Like

Thank you again @btrettel - I was indeed misled by the unclear filenames.