Embed a Jupyter Notebook in fortran-lang.org/learn

I have read about the compiler LFortran, the description given by @certik and in https://docs.lfortran.org/, and I would like to propose, if feasible, the embed of a Jupyter Notebook in the Learn section of the website (fortran-lang.org/learn).

This, together with the documentation available in this section, would allow for an interactive tutorial on the website.

2 Likes

One can also try an online Fortran compiler at a site such as TutorialsPoint. Just type the code, click “execute”, and see the output. Fortran is a scripting language :slight_smile: . (I know there is a serious effort to achieve this.)

2 Likes

Fortran is also available in:

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. We are making steady progress with LFortran and I think this year we’ll be able to compile enough of Fortran to be able to write tutorials in a notebook and include it.

4 Likes

Note that the Ju and py in Jupyter stand for Julia and Python. If Fortran was included, maybe the name should be changed to Jupyfor. (This might also help with the problem that CS people can no longer spell the name of the largest plant in the solar system.)

1 Like

The original author of Jupyter is Fernando Pérez who is a proponent of Fortran and has always supported LFortran as well as our wider efforts at fortran-lang, see for example his recent tweet:

The original author of Python is Guido van Rossum who is also a supporter of Fortran, as evidenced by his recent tweet:

So we have the support of all the important people that we need and the door is open for Fortran. The rest is on us to walk through the open door. We have to do the work, and that is exactly what we are doing.

6 Likes

I like it but it would step on R’s toes:

Jupyter ← Ju-Pyt-R ← Julia, Python, and R

Argh, you are right, I’d forgotten about R . (I’m waiting for a Python package for the R functionality to take over and kill off R as a separate entity.) Even so, Jupyfor still ends in R so I think we’re safe.

3 Likes

An interactive LFortran will surely help to promote Fortran. I have just begun reading the book GNU Octave by Example - A Fast and Practical Approach to Learning GNU Octave, and in the introduction chapter I read:

The GNU Octave Project started in 1988 as a companion for a textbook that was under development for chemical engineering undergraduate students. This was done after the faculty members observed that chemical engineering students were spending a lot of time debugging FORTRAN issues, which was used for their programming exercises.

1 Like

Well, one could consider JuPytRan! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was hoping the r at the end of Jupyfor would satisfy the R people. The other three languages got their first 2 letters, and R, having only 1 letter, stays at the end with just 1 letter.

1 Like