Why abandon Fortran for Linear Algebra?

as I mentioned above, also:

1. More organized community: Forum, Fortran webpage, community compiler(s), etc. (I think we might have almost fixed this one with fortran-lang.org)
  2. Rich ecosystem of Fortran packages and libraries, package manager (I think fpm will fix this)
  3. We need more projects that started in C++ and moved to Fortran
  4. Make Fortran interactive, work in Jupyter notebooks, in addition to the direct compilation traditional usage, also make it work interactively like Julia or Python (I believe LFortran will fix this one)
  5. Active Fortran Standards Committee that works with the wider community to improve the language itself when needed (we have made progress there also, from new members joining the committee to the incubator repository)

What else? Let’s brainstorm it.

Regarding “ranking”, I don’t know, I think all of this is important. :slight_smile:

Regarding 2., the universities, that is of course very important, foundational and influential, but we can’t fix that directly. The good news is that it will fix itself once we fix all the other issues. All we need to do is make Fortran exciting again for new users. I talk with university professors in CS departments. Many of them are actually not against Fortran as you might think. If we make 3. and 8. exciting enough, they will join us. There are tons of interesting CS problems to solve and work on. Either way, I would not worry about 2. and concentrate on the rest.

P.S. Also see my older post here: Embed a Jupyter Notebook in fortran-lang.org/learn - #6 by certik where I quote Fernando Pérez and Guido van Rossum, both very influential people in the Python community, who publicly praise Fortran. So we have much bigger support “out there” than you might think. We just have to fix the issues above.

3 Likes