Can we get LFortran into homebrew-core?

Hey all,

I just had a look at https://github.com/fortran-lang/homebrew-fortran and realized that the lfortran formula is a bit outdated (0.48.0 instead of 0.64.0). So I’m wondering if it’s possible to get LFortran into homebrew-core? They seem to have a convenient update mechanism, too, although I’m not sure what the pipeline involves.

I can otherwise assist with updating fortran-lang/homebrew-fortran, especially with regard to adding a script that automatically creates new formulae from new releases.

1 Like

I think you have to contact the homebrew maintainers to see. Yes, if you could do it, that would be awesome.

I think the only thing that keeps LFortran from not being merged to homebrew-core is that we haven’t declared it stable yet. See this comment.

For future reference, this formula currently passes all tests and audits:

I’ll take care of fortran-lang/homebrew-fortran then. Anyone volunteering for reviews? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just today noticed that there is a new version of lfortran, 0.66.0, in homebrew on MacOS (arm64). While previous installs of lfortran did not work for me, this one does. I think you still need to go through the brew tap step, but this looks like good progress in any case.

2 Likes

Yes, I overhauled the fortran-lang/homebrew-fortran tap.

It now builds bottles for macOS arm64 (Tahoe and Sequoia) and Linux (x86_64 and ARM). Other platforms, such as macOS Intel or older macOS versions, are not supported by Homebrew anymore. They might still work but they aren’t tested and you’d build from source, which takes much longer.

There is also a mechanism in place which checks for new LFortran releases daily and creates a version-bump PR if one was found. All maintainers need to do is to wait until CI turns green and add a pr-pull label. That one triggers the publish workflow, which merges to main, creates a release, uploads the bottles, and closes its own branch/PR. Nothing else to do.

It still needs the tap but you can also install in one go using:
brew install fortran-lang/fortran/lfortran

2 Likes

Thanks @minhdao for setting it up! I’ll make a new release soon, so we can test the process out as well.

3 Likes