TorchFort: An Online Deep Learning Interface for HPC programs on NVIDIA GPUs

I think this new library may be interesting for those who want to do Deep Learning on NVIDIA GPUs directly from Fortran codes.

14 Likes

Thanks for posting this. There are two more similar projects (possibly less up-to-date) I’m aware of:

When I first started neural-fortran in the summer of 2018, Keras (high-level API over TensorFlow) was significantly more widely used than PyTorch, and so it was my main source of inspiration, especially user API-wise. However, PyTorch has since overtaken TensorFlow in popularity, and I’ve also heard a few notable people (e.g. George Hotz, creator of tinygrad; Chris Lattner, creator of LLVM, Swift, Mojo) praise PyTorch for its design. This motivates me to study PyTorch more to better understand ML frameworks and even get inspiration for neural-fortran where applicable.

TorchFort is a very cool name for a project, but I think it was a missed opportunity to call it torch.f90. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

TorchFort is a very cool name for a project, but I think it was a missed opportunity to call it torch.f90. :slight_smile:

How about FlowTorch => Fortran Learning Optimized with Torch :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the info, it looks interesting :flashlight: :bulb:

Btw, I’ve also come across this post (probably related to the above library).

Though I have no idea about the background, I feel that review processes are sometimes essentially “broken” (because of politics/preference/conflict of interest (?), etc, etc, …)

2 Likes

Indeed, definitely related and a very bizarre example of when badly managed peer-review can hurt researchers :frowning:

1 Like

Why not the easiest and simplest FoTorch?

Both might be the worst choices. :thinking: I could never imagine that naming would be a kind of art, too. Name is a symbol more than just a character string. :wink::grinning: