TOML Fortran documentation upgrade

Apparently, I never managed to announce TOML Fortran here. Since I recently put some time into upgrading its documentation to sphinx this is a good opportunity to actually introduce:

TOML Fortran
Docs at https://toml-f.readthedocs.io/

I consider TOML Fortran to be more or less finished, except for the missing Unicode support (see Support unicode escape characters · Issue #3 · toml-f/toml-f · GitHub, contributions are welcome), and it has served reliably in fpm as well as in several of my own projects so far. However, the documentation was always a bit thin, therefore I decided to upgrade and expand it and bring it to the same level as the one we have for fpm, still there is some way to go to cover all the important aspects of the project.

Feedback is welcome, let me know if you are using TOML Fortran in your project, especially if there are things that are not working well or rough edges were the API could be smoothed out a bit.

15 Likes

I’m looking for people interested in helping out with TOML Fortran. At the moment TOML Fortran is the only pure Fortran implementation of a TOML parser I’m aware of, the next alternatives are a couple of C based TOML libraries which could be wrapped using Fortran’s CFI functionality. Big advantage of TOML Fortran is that all data structures only use allocatable components, which hands off the memory management to the compiler.

The project is very low volume regarding user requests and bug reports, but shows a steady ~100 unique git clones each day, so at least somebody is using it. The most prominent user of TOML Fortran is of course the Fortran package manager.

There is certainly room for improvement in the project like

• storage structure for tables
  • error messages from parser
  • UTF8 support

If anyone is interested in helping out, feel free to look around in the repository or send patches. There is also a tracking issue at

6 Likes