Should 0.0/0.0 be NaN?

It is not in GFortran.

It is NaN in gfortran if a variable x is set to 0.0 and you evaluate x/x, but there is a compile-time error if x is a named constant or if you evaluate 0.0/0.0.

implicit none
real :: x
x = 0.0
print*,x/x ! NaN
! print*,0.0/0.0
! Line above with gfortran gives 'Error: Division by zero at (1)'
end

How to set a named constant to NaN is discussed at floating point - Having parameter (constant) variable with NaN value in Fortran - Stack Overflow.

1 Like

The second case is detected by the compiler, which apparently is concerned only by the value of the denominator.

The first NaN is occurring inside the FPU, according to IEEE754 and independently of the compiler.

Maybe it would more coherent for GFortran to consider 0.0/0.0 as a NaN, and to accept to compile the code, with a warning.

Note that ifx is compiling the code print *,0.0/0.0 without even a warning.

@vmagnin said ā€œNote that ifx is compiling the code print *,0.0/0.0 without even a warning.ā€ That depends on oneā€™s choice of options. When compiling a new program I always use

-assume protect_parens -check all,nouninit -fmath-errno -g -ftrapuv -traceback -warn interface -standard-semantics 

and that gave me a compile-time error and told me where to look in the program. Other ifx options will stop it objecting. When using a Fortran 95 compiler with some f2003 features I read the character string ā€˜NaNā€™ into a real variable when I want a NaN. Nowadays one can still do that, or use ieee_arithmetic, which offers both a signaling NaN and a quiet one. Neither of them need be the same as the read-in NaN.

1 Like

This feels really inconsistent to me. Is this a bug?

In R and C++, 0.0/0.0 is NAN. In Python, it is an error. Not sure how this behavior should be.

There are many situations where the compile time evaluation of an expression is different from the run time evaluation of the equivalent expression. This is kind of an oddball corner case that behaves that way. After all, from the compilerā€™s perspective, why would anyone intentionally put the constant expression 0.0/0.0 in their source code?

If I need to create a NAN but donā€™t want to use the ieee_arithmetic, I can use 0.0/0.0.

1 Like

In the wikipedia page, 0.0/0.0 is cited several times as an example of NaN:

Do we have GFortran developers here? I believe this should be considered a bug.

If you want to have a NaN parameter for a conditional evaluation without using ieee_arithmetic module you could define your NaN parameters as follows:

real(4), parameter  :: NaN_sp  = real(z'7fc00000',4)
real(8), parameter  :: NaN_dp  = real(z'7ff8000000000000',8)
real(16), parameter :: NaN_qp  = real(z'7fff8000000000000000000000000000',16)

print *, NaN_sp
print *, NaN_dp
print *, NaN_qp

end

Yet, I do agree that it might be a bug or at least a missing feature from gfortran. ifort/ifx will print a remark if you do define the parameter real(4), parameter :: NaN_sp = 0.0/0.0 but it will effectively affect NaN to the parameter.

remark #7954: The floating invalid condition was detected while evaluating this operation; the result is a NaN.

EDIT
this code snippet is not meant to be portable across all compilers/architectures, it is a quick idea for the user asking for ideas regarding the specific compiler targeted at the beginning of the discussion.

@hkvzjalā€™s NaN example is, I suspect, not portable. I donā€™t now have access to NAG but when I did I had to use different kind numbers from the 4, 8, 16 in the program. And two compilers I do have access to gave unexpected output. AOCC flang:

NaN
                       NaN
   5.9722037830479493269174770714937169E-4947

G95 warned at compile time about integer overflow of real(ā€¦ ,8) and real(ā€¦ ,16) but not real(ā€¦ ,4) and printed

2.1432893E+9
 9.221120237041091E+18
 1.701385873120399643178730384677195E+38

Sadly, G95 is no longer maintained but itā€™s still useful for f95 and many f2003 features.

It is not portable for (at least) three reasons. First, is the fact that it has hard-coded integer literals as KIND values. It is trivial to change that part of the code to use parameters in a portable way. In fact, I donā€™t know why anyone posting code here would not post code with parameters; it is an often-discussed topic, and it is easy to do. The next reason involves the conversion of the integer strings to real values using REAL() (which I think is equivalent to the TRANSFER() convention in this context). That is not portable due to the underlying byte-ordering issues. The posted code assumes little-endian conventions with consecutive bytes constituting, low to high, the mantissa, the exponent, and the sign. As a counter example, we all know of one legacy floating point format, on a little-endian machine, that put the sign and exponent in the middle of the floating point word. The third reason is that it assumes IEEE floating point format conventions. Although that is the most common floating point format these days, that does not make it portable to all fortran compilers.

Having said all that, with the state of the fortran language right now, that code (using parameters for the KINDs, of course) is probably the most portable code that one could write. It is portable to little-endian machines that support IEEE floating point. The obvious way to change the language to make it more portable would be to allow the relevant functions in the IEEE intrinsic modules to be used in initializations. Of course, that would only make the code portable on the subset of fortran compilers that support those modules and that floating point format. Universal support does not seem to be practical, or even possible, beyond that.

I have written testnans.f90 below to be fairly portable, and to test what one gets from reading ā€˜NaNā€™, calculating 0.0/0.0, and the two IEEE NaNs, in each of the 3 or 4 real kinds available in these 4 compilers: g95, gfortran, ifort, ifx, in my Ubuntu system. I wonā€™t quote the output as itā€™s fairly long, but I found it instructive. The program:

program testnans
  use ieee_arithmetic, only: ieee_value,ieee_quiet_nan,ieee_signaling_nan
  implicit none
  integer,parameter:: sp = kind(1.0),dp = kind(1d0), &
       eq = selected_real_kind(precision(1.0_dp)+1),ep = merge(eq,dp,eq>0), &
       qq = selected_real_kind(precision(1.0_ep)+1),qp = merge(qq,ep,qq>0)
  character:: cnan*3 = 'NaN', &
       which(4)*9=['  read-in','      0/0','    quiet','signaling']
  character(*),parameter:: fmt = "(A,F4.0,I3,A,99(Z9.8:))"
  real(sp):: spnan(4), sp0 = 0
  real(dp):: dpnan(4), dp0 = 0
  real(ep):: epnan(4), ep0 = 0
  real(qp):: qpnan(4), qp0 = 0
  integer :: iw,n(1) = 0, bits(4), bytes(4)

bits = [nint(log(real(maxexponent(sp0)))/log(2.0))+digits(sp0)+1 &
       ,  nint(log(real(maxexponent(dp0)))/log(2.0))+digits(dp0)+1 &
       ,  nint(log(real(maxexponent(ep0)))/log(2.0))+digits(ep0)+1 &
       ,  nint(log(real(maxexponent(qp0)))/log(2.0))+digits(qp0)+1 ]
  bytes = (bits(:)+1)/8

read(cnan,*) spnan(1)
  spnan(2) = sp0/sp0
  spnan(3)=ieee_value(sp0,ieee_quiet_nan)
  spnan(4)=ieee_value(sp0,ieee_signaling_nan)

read(cnan,*) dpnan(1)
  dpnan(2) = dp0/dp0
  dpnan(3)=ieee_value(dp0,ieee_quiet_nan)
  dpnan(4)=ieee_value(dp0,ieee_signaling_nan)

read(cnan,*) epnan(1)
  epnan(2) = ep0/ep0
  epnan(3)=ieee_value(ep0,ieee_quiet_nan)
  epnan(4)=ieee_value(ep0,ieee_signaling_nan)

read(cnan,*) qpnan(1)
  qpnan(2) = qp0/qp0
  qpnan(3)=ieee_value(qp0,ieee_quiet_nan)
  qpnan(4)=ieee_value(qp0,ieee_signaling_nan)

do iw=1,4
     print fmt,which(iw),spnan(iw),bytes(1),' bytes',transfer(spnan(iw),n)
  end do
  print *
  do iw=1,4
     print fmt,which(iw),dpnan(iw),bytes(2),' bytes',transfer(dpnan(iw),n)
  end do
  print *
  do iw=1,4
     print fmt,which(iw),epnan(iw),bytes(3),' bytes',transfer(epnan(iw),n)
  end do
  if(qp==ep) stop ! as ifort, ifx have only 3 real kinds but gfortran, g95 have 4.
  print *
  do iw=1,4
     print fmt,which(iw),qpnan(iw),bytes(4),' bytes',transfer(qpnan(iw),n)
  end do
end program testnans
1 Like

I agree with this, especially if the programs are to be shared with others. But I think we also need to respect that ā€œwe are all adults here,ā€ and everyone is free to make their own choices.

It is also hard to sell this point when even some vendors perpetuate the use of the legacy REAL* syntax (.e.g. Nvidia, and Intel (which at leasts uses green to denote this as an extension)), and itā€™s a staple in various exemplary materials. (On the other hand, not documenting it would also be bad.)

As the name of the OP indicates, they use Fortran from R and primarily with gfortran if Iā€™m not mistaken. For a long time, all R platforms were using gfortran, and when you search for tutorials about using Fortran from R, they generally recommend using double precision, or real(8), without any further consideration of why. Iā€™ve just noticed now that the Writing R Extensions manual, has extended the section on portable Fortran code to discuss this issue.

In the past, Iā€™ve suggested using a module like this one for new development:

module rkinds
   use, intrinsic :: iso_c_binding
   private
   integer, parameter, public :: rp = c_double
end module

Ideally, this would be distributed together with the R platform, and documented with a table:

Value R Vector Fortran
Real numeric real(rp)
Complex complex complex(rp)

But I guess that the use of _rp on literals is perceived as unappetizing, especially if compared to the C++ Rcpp package, since in C++ floating-point literals are double by default (and instead single precision literals need to have the f postfix).

Other types in R can be problematic to inter-operate with Fortran. For example the boolean type is implemented like this:

typedef enum { FALSE = 0, TRUE /*, MAYBE */ } Rboolean;

So in principle it shares the representation of logical that gfortran uses, but not the one of Intel Fortran (unless certain compiler flags are used). Even if the representation is the same, you need an additional wrapper layer to get around the type-casting:

module rkinds

use, intrinsic :: iso_c_binding, sexp => c_ptr
    private

public :: sexp
    integer, parameter, public :: rp = c_double

enum, bind(c)
      enumerator :: rfalse = 0
      enumerator :: rtrue = 1
    end enum
    integer, parameter, public :: rboolean = kind(rfalse)
    public :: as_rboolean, rtrue, rfalse

contains

integer(rboolean) function as_rboolean(x)
      logical, value :: x
      if (x) then
         as_rboolean = rtrue
      else
         as_rboolean = rfalse
      end if
   end function

end module

Returning to the original issue, and assuming you want to use NaN from R, you could simply use the constant, defined in include/R_ext/Arith.h:

/* implementation of these : ../../main/arithmetic.c */
LibExtern double R_NaN;		/* IEEE NaN */
LibExtern double R_PosInf;	/* IEEE Inf */
LibExtern double R_NegInf;	/* IEEE -Inf */
LibExtern double R_NaReal;	/* NA_REAL: IEEE */
LibExtern int	 R_NaInt;	/* NA_INTEGER:= INT_MIN currently */

which gets initialized by a function in src/main/arithmetic.c:

/* Arithmetic Initialization */

attribute_hidden void InitArithmetic(void)
{
    R_NaInt = INT_MIN;
    R_NaReal = R_ValueOfNA();
// we assume C99, so
#ifndef OLD
    R_NaN = NAN;
    R_PosInf = INFINITY;
    R_NegInf = -INFINITY;
#else
    R_NaN = 0.0/R_Zero_Hack;
    R_PosInf = 1.0/R_Zero_Hack;
    R_NegInf = -1.0/R_Zero_Hack;
#endif
}

I havenā€™t traced exactly where do the macros come from, but it should be enough to bind it like this:

module rparams

use, intrinsic :: iso_c_binding
    private
    implicit none

public :: r_nan, r_posinf, r_neginf
    public :: r_isna, r_isnan, r_finite

real(c_double), bind(c,name="R_NaN") :: r_nan
    real(c_double), bind(c,name="R_PosInf") :: r_posinf
    real(c_double), bind(c,name="R_NegInf") :: r_neginf
    protected :: r_nan, r_posinf, r_neginf

interface
        function r_isna(x) bind(c,name='R_IsNA')
           import c_double, c_int
           real(c_double), value :: x
           integer(c_int) :: r_isna
        end function
        function r_isnan(x) bind(c,name='R_IsNaN')
           import c_double, c_int
           integer(c_int) :: r_isnan
        end function
        function r_finite(x) bind(c,name='R_finite')
           import c_double, c_int
           integer(c_int) :: r_finite
        end function
    end interface

end module

Caveat: this will only work within an R session, where the hidden InitArithmetic function has been called (presumably when the R interpreter is launched). It is also tightly bound to the main R implementation.

(:warning: there may be errors remaining, as I donā€™t have R running on the computer where I typed this answer.)

I was reading the AOCC documentation (never used it) and just found that they offer flang ā€œas the default Fortran front-end compiler supporting F2008 and Real128 featuresā€ā€¦ Not sure which flang do they refer to ( ? ) ā€¦ I tried the flang in Compiler Explorer and I do get a proper NaN for the quad precision conversionā€¦

For G95, Iā€™ve never used it, I understand from here G95 - Wikipedia that gfortran was forked from it, as such I guess that it is safe to take it as the reference.

I agree, there is really no excuse for this. However, I do see a reason that compiler vendors might use hard coded literals in their other documentation (i.e. INTEGER(4), REAL(8), LOGICAL(2), COMPLEX(4), etc.). This allows them to kill two birds with one stone, they can document whatever feature they are describing, and at the same time document their KIND values for the various intrinsic types.

The downside is when new fortran users read this documentation, they might tend to follow the same conventions, which is not the best practice for programmers writing portable code.

1 Like

The previous program I posted here would not compile with AOCC flang because that compiler did not have ieee_support_nan for all its real kinds. This program is shorter because it only uses one real kind but it shows that different compilers give different NaNs. It compiled and ran with AOCC flang, gfortran, g95, ifort and ifx if suitable options were used. (For example avoid an option that would stop execution on attempting 0.0/0.0). The program:

program testnans2 ! F2003. Various single precision NaNs
  use ieee_arithmetic, only: ieee_value,ieee_quiet_nan,ieee_signaling_nan,&
       ieee_support_nan
  implicit none
  integer,parameter:: nans = 4
  character:: cnan*3 = 'NaN', &
       which(nans)*9 = ['  read-in','zero/zero','    quiet','signaling']
  character(*),parameter:: fmt = "(A,1X,F0.0,9(Z9.8:))"
  real:: nan1(nans), zero = 0
  integer :: iw, n(1) = 1

read(cnan,*) nan1(1)
  nan1(2) = zero/zero
  if(ieee_support_nan(zero)) then
     nan1(3) = ieee_value(zero,ieee_quiet_nan)
     nan1(4) = ieee_value(zero,ieee_signaling_nan)
  else 
     nan1(3:4) = 0 ! some compilers want all array elements evaluated
  end if
  do iw=1,merge(nans,nans-2,ieee_support_nan(zero))
     print fmt,which(iw),nan1(iw),transfer(nan1(iw),n)
  end do

end program testnans2

Output from ifx or ifort: 3 different NaNs, read-in == zero/zero:

read-in NaN FFC00000
zero/zero NaN FFC00000
    quiet NaN 7FC00000
signaling NaN 7FA00000

Output from gfortran or AOCC flang: 3 different NaNs, read-in == quiet

read-in NaN 7FC00000
zero/zero NaN FFC00000
    quiet NaN 7FC00000
signaling NaN 7FA00000