I’m looking at the tutorials on 15th and see that some Fortran tutorial would be a good idea (for the future conferences). For example, something like this Presentation - SC26 Schedule .l, but with Fortran using latest features. How about it @certik, once LFortran has a solid release version and jupyter stuff works. @loiseaujc can whip up some cool solver tutorial . Next thing is then that we develop quantum aware semantics - in the Fortran 203Y (we got quantum there btw. Presentation - SC26 Schedule )
I’ve never been to that conference so I don’t know exactly what the tutorial sessions look like. But if there is interest for something Fortran related, sure enough, we can probably cook something up. I think SC27 is in Denver, and the following week is APS DFD in Boston so I may consider going.
Who would be interested and what would be the goal of the tutorial though? I do have the on going Jacobi series which may be a good fit, but mostly for beginners. I’m also planning a series on Krylov methods eventually with a mini-series about implementing a super light version of LightKrylov to illustrate OOP, abstract type and how to leverage the Liskov Substitution Principle for numerical linear algebra. Nothing MPI or GPU specific however.
I agree! I think what we could do is try to establish a baseline for a tutorial so we can do variations of it across conferences. There is SC, ISC, SCA, IPDPS, and other big HPC related conferences. I am in Australia and it is easier to go to SC Asian than ISC for example. If we get a baseline “Modern Fortran for parallel computing” or something like that and we take turns at submitting the same-ish material across conferences then we can say that the tutorial in its base has been given before at X,Y, and Z conference - giving us more legs to stand on. I love this idea.
I think taking turns is a fantastic idea. I’m not really familiar with these kind of tutorials though. What’s the typical audience like?
I guess the content of the tutorial itself would depend quite heavily on the answer to this question, e.g. openMP, MPI or GPU programming in Fortran may not be the best subjects for beginners but could make excellent intermediate to advanced tutorials.
From people around me who know Fortran, but are usually on the beginner level, I think a tutorial like this may just be the motivation to either learn Fortran more, or just an insight into modern HPC
I’ll be at SC this year. In past years I’ve been involved in a Fortran BoF there. I’ve not run a tutorial there, but set in on one or two. They’re usually half day, however interactive (or not) the presenter(s) want. I think it would be a great idea to propose one for next year, and collaborate to present it at a variety of conferences. I’d be happy to help put content together and even present if it’s a conference I can manage to get to.
Excellent @certik, I think a working Jupyter tutorial would be nice!
@loiseaujc, nice! For SC, people expect heavy artillery (HPC), so CPU+GPU (multi-nodal) and soon QPU will be there too. But I like @jorgeg idea of having a set for different conferences (maybe similar set but slightly varied, depending on th.e audience).
Maybe we should try to meet there to brainstrorm? @jorgeg@everythingfunctional - maybe you can show something you have in mind? When are you guys arriving?
In general, I think this new wave of Fortran has so much to show for. FPM + stdlib (and other packages) + LFortran in Jupyter and cool new language features would make a very cool and fresh impression! Not to forget good arguments for AI generative coding.
@jorgeg, I have seen you doing some quantum chemistry posts. I believe soon there will be practical quantum advantage in that field. Have you been paying attention to Sample-based Krylov Quantum Diagonalization? There’s a tutorial about it in SC26 on the 15th.
I have yet to go into the more quantum quantum side. I am finishing up setting the baseline of the code before I start exploring other stuff, like ML and Quantum per se. But I might pop into that tutorial!