Promoting Fortran in non-English languages

I consulted my Fortran notes in Slovenian. We used “tabela” as “array”. On Wikipedia I found covariant tensors as “kovariantni tenzor”. So I guess the most straightforward translation would be “ko-tabela” or “kotabela”.

In words such as cosine, or cotangent, and cosecant, the “co-” actually comes from complementary (e.g. cosine = sine of the complementary angle).

With only 2.5 million Slovenian speakers worldwide, I don’t think I will invest the translation effort.

2 Likes

I think I have found a treasure :moneybag: !
https://translationproject.org/latest/gcc/fr.po
That file contains the translations of gcc (including gfortran) messages in French. So I think I will just use “co-tableau” for “coarray”… Using Google, I have found that term in two documents, that one and a french site.

Of course, for other languages, just use your language id, for example for Spanish:
https://translationproject.org/latest/gcc/es.po

You can see the list of the 19 available languages here:
https://translationproject.org/latest/gcc/
be.po da.po de.po el.po es.po fi.po fr.po hr.po id.po ja.po nl.po ru.po sr.po sv.po tr.po uk.po vi.po zh_CN.po zh_TW.po

6 Likes

First pass on the localization infrastructure is done. Feedback on the PR is very welcome, there is also side preview available, which in the best case is indifferent from the current fortran-lang webpage except for one additional line on each page, so (hopefully) not much to see yet.

1 Like

And how to get “there”? /pr/201 page just displays English in the last line. Changing preferred language to display pages in my Firefox does not take me anywhere else.

Sorry, discourse complained that the link was already present when I wrote the post, shouldn’t have listened. The PR is here, the preview at Home - Fortran Programming Language. I enabled only one language so far, as I said, not much to see yet.

If you want to test adding a translation have a look at

You will need a local copy of the i18n branch from my fork for this, though.

3 Likes

The build preview of the fortran-lang has been updated with the French translation by @vmagnin at Accueil - Le langage de programmation Fortran and the Spanish translation by @alozada at Inicio - Lenguaje de programación Fortran. Please share your feedback here or at the GitHub.

4 Likes

FWIW, on my bookshelf I have Fortran books in French, German, Russian, Mandarin, Danish, and Japanese, so in those languages one is not starting from scratch. Three of these books, in German, Russian and Japanese, respectively, are translations done with my collaboration.

Below is a list, from 2004, of books on Fortran in languages other than English.

Regards,

Mike Metcalf

Chinese:

Programming Language Fortran 90 - He Xingui, Xu Zuyuan, Wu Qingbao and
Chen Mingyuan, China Railway Publishing House, Beijing,
ISBN 7-113-01788-6/TP.187, 1994.

Fortran 90 - Walter S. Brainerd, Charles H. Goldberg, Jeanne C. Adams,
CHEP, Beijing and Springer, Berlin, 2000, ISBN 7-04-007937-2
(a translation of Programmer’s Guide to Fortran 90).

Dutch:

Fortran 90 - W.S. Brainerd, Ch.H. Goldberg, and J.C. Adams, translated
by J.M. den Haan, Academic Service, 1991, ISBN 90 6233 722 8.

Finnish:

Fortran 90/95 - Juha Haataja, Jussi Rahola and Juha Ruokolainen.
Center for Scientific Computing (Finland), 2001, 3rd edition,
ISBN 952-9821-60-3. WWW version: http://www.csc.fi/oppaat/f95/

French:

Fortran 90; Approche par la Pratique - P. Lignelet, Série
Informatique Éditions, Menton, 1993, ISBN 2-909615-01-4.

Fortran 90. Les concepts fondamentaux, the translation of “Fortran
90 Explained” M. Metcalf, J. Reid, translated by M. Caillat and
B. Pichon, AFNOR, 1993, Paris, ISBN 2-12-486513-7.

Fortran 90; Initiation à partir du Fortran 77 - Aberti, Série
Informatique Éditions, Menton, 1992, ISBN 2-909615-00-6.

Les spécificités du Fortran 90, M. Dubesset et J. Vignes,
Éditions Technip, 1993. ISBN 2-7108-0652-5.

Manuel complet du langage Fortran 90, et guide d’application,
P. Lignelet, Série Informatique Éditions, 1995. ISBN 2-909615-02-2.

Manuel Complet du Langage Fortran 90 et Fortran 95, Calcul
intensif et Génie Logiciel, P. Lignelet, Masson Éditions,
Paris, 1996, ISBN: 2-225-85229-4.

Programmer en Fortran 90, C. Delannoy, Eyrolles, 1992,
ISBN 2-212-08723-3.

Traitement des données numériques avec Fortran 90, M. Olagnon,
Masson Éditions, 1996, ISBN 2-225-85259-6.

Structures des données (et leurs algorithmes) en Fortran 90/95,
P. Lignelet, Masson Éditions, Paris, ISBN 2-225-85373-8.

German:

Fortran 90 Lehrbuch - D. Rabenstein, Hanser, 1995, ISBN 3-446-18235-7.

Die Programmiersprache F - W. Gehrke, Springer-Verlag, ISBN 3-540-63376-6.

Fortran 90 - B.Wojcieszynski and R.Wojcieszynski, Addison-Wesley, 1993,
ISBN 3-89319-600-5.

Fortran 90: eine informelle Einführung - M. Heisterkamp,
BI-Wissenschaftsverlag, 1991, ISBN 3-411-15321-0.

Fortran 90 Kurs: technisch orientiert - G. Schmitt, Oldenbourg,
1996, ISBN 3-486-23896-5.

Fortran 90, Lehr- und Arbeitsbuch für das erfolgreiche Programmieren -
W.S. Brainerd, C.H. Goldberg, and J.C. Adams, translated by P. Thomas
and K. Paul, R. Olbenbourg Verlag, Muenchen, 1994, ISBN 3-486-22102-7.

Fortran 90 Lehr- und Handbuch - T. Michel, BI-Wissenschaftsverlag, 1994.

Fortran 90 Referenz-Handbuch: der neue Fortran-Standard - W. Gehrke,
Carl Hansen Verlag, 1991, ISBN 3-446-16321-2.

Programmierung in Fortran 90 - Schobert, Oldenburg, 1991.

Programmierung mit Fortran 90 - Bäumer, Vieweg, Braunschweig, 1997,
ISBN 3-528-05208-2.

Programmieren in Fortran - Erasmus Langer, Springer-Verlag, Wien,
New York, 1993. ISBN 3-211-82446-4, 0-387-82446-4.

Software Entwicklung in Fortran 90 - Überhuber and Meditz, Springer
Verlag, 1993, ISBN 0-387-82450-2.

Italian:

Some resources in Italian, including a manual, are at
http://space.tin.it/computer/gciabu.

Japanese:

Fortran 90 Explained - Metcalf and Reid, translated by H. Nisimura,
H. Wada, K. Nishimura, M. Takata, Kyoritsu Shuppan Co., Ltd., 1993,
ISSN 0385-6984.

Russian

An Explanation of the Fortran 90 Programming Language (translation of
Fortran 90 Explained - Metcalf and Reid), translated P. Gorbounov,
Mir, Moscow, 1995, ISBN 5-03-001426-8. Available also from
Petr.Gorbounov@cern.ch.

FORTRAN 77 to Fortran 90 Tutorial - Einarsson and Shokin, Russian
Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk, 1995, ISBN 5-85826-013-6.

Swedish

Fortran 90 - en introduktion - Blom, Studentlitteratur, Lund, 1994,
ISBN 91-44-47881-X.
5 Likes

A bit vain perhaps, but my book Modern Fortran in Practice is available in a Russian translation.

2 Likes

For the Spanish translation.
(Libre o gratuito)

In the section Compilers, the section with more technicalities, the word “free” is used in the description of the GNU Fortran Compiler. Does this word refers to definition in gnu.org or means without paid?

1 Like

I think it’s not only a translation problem.
GCC is “FLOSS” = “Free/Libre and Open Source Software”
See FLOSS and FOSS - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

Translation of fortran-lang.org into Japanese is necessary for Japanese Fortran users, especially students, because many Japanese, including me, does not familiar with English.

Fortunately, the ISO Fortran standards (up to 2003) are translated into Japanese as the Japanese Industrial Standards, so translations of Fortran terminologies are not complicated.

As a result of searching “Fortran” on Google, fortran-lang.org does not appear up to 100th place.
Most of the information in Fortran in Japanese is older, so it would be beneficial for both the community and users to make this page appear at a top rank, in my opinion.

8 Likes

@tomohirodegawa
the work on the internationalization of the site is paused. See:

and @certik 's post:
https://fortran-lang.discourse.group/t/fortran-lang-is-now-second-in-google/931/21

It will need a big effort and finding the right tool to manage the website, and you can participate to the discussion:
https://github.com/fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org/issues/89

In the meanwhile, what you can do to improve the ranking in search engines is to add content talking about the work of the Fortran community in your national web ecosystem:

On the French side, Fortran-log.org was invisible in Google but that kind of effort brought it to the 8th page. Not marvelous, but the more good quality content appear in your language with links toward that website, the more the ranking will improve. It needs work and patience.

2 Likes

@vmagnin
Thank you for letting me know the current status of internationalization.
I already read a part of it, but I will follow the entire discussion.

You showed me good points.
I organized a modern Fortran local user group for a community of Japanese Fortran users and prepared a Slack channel.
But I didn’t even think about modifying Wikipedia. I only use Fortran as an engineer in mechanical engineering. Maybe like many others, I don’t have enough knowledge to discuss Fortran comprehensively.
There may be members in our community who are familiar with Fortran, so I would like to call for the formation of a task force for correcting Japanese Wikipedia articles.

To improve the quality of information written in Japanese related to Fortran, I have blogged several articles, including fpm, fprettify, FORD, and their integration with VSCode. I also self-published some books on Fortran entitled “practical object-oriented programming with Fortran,” “techniques for direct numerical simulations of aeroacoustics,” and “construction of a development environment for getting started with modern Fortran.”
I continue this publishing activity and the community activities for the improvement.

@septc

It is a good idea.
Community members and I accept questions on Slack, but unfortunately, there are few questions. When the new academic year has begun, some students who started studying Fortran at university spit curses against Fortran on Twitter, so we respond individually…

3 Likes

NAG is quite active in Japan and there are some resources in Japanese you can access, for instance: Fortran Builder

1 Like

@tomohirodegawa , that’s great, keep on the good work!

Concerning the Wikipedia national page, I have first entirely reorganized the text, verified and updated every link, updated the text with more recent information about modern Fortran, etc. Now, I am working in a more atomic style: when I learn something interesting in the Discourse about for example a new Fortran tool, I add one sentence with a link in the Wikipedia page.

That kind of atomic work is light but accumulates with time and improves the page. And verifying one by one all the links in the Wikipedia page can be a good point to start editing it: it’s useful for other people, you don’t need to be a Fortran expert, and sure you will learn many things by visiting those links…

1 Like

Thanks for your efforts The Fortran Wiki has a list of books in English. Those familiar with the Fortran literature in other languages could add pages for those languages. Perhaps automated translations to English of some of the books above would be worthwhile.

On GitHub I sometimes see Fortran code with non-English comments. A tool that translated only comments to another language and left the code otherwise unchanged would be useful.

2 Likes

@certik mentioned earlier to prepare an ecosystem suitable to run Jupyter notebooks. Once these are set, a translation of them into languages other than English (as seen, e.g., with learnlatex.org) may be one of the steps to achieve this goal.

1 Like

Indeed.

I just want to say — I don’t want to be the one holding the translations efforts. I just think that unless we have a good technical solution as described above, the translations will be out of date and hard to manage. I don’t want to spread too thin to work on this, as I am 100% focusing on LFortran to deliver first.

So if we have enough dedicated people who will maintain translations by hand and commit to follow the master and make changes as needed (by hand), then I think we can have translations even now. But I am just warning that it’s a lot of work.

2 Likes

This is understood. What I see with learnlatex.org is that the contributors share a consent about the most important topics, and the tools to be presented to a achieve a specific goal. Then there is explanatory text around the functions shown which is subject to translation. And – if deemed suitable – there are supplementary information beyond these core lessons (in case of the reference mentioned, the specifics to English [sic!], French, German, Català, etc.).

2 Likes

I have been working with sphinx for a while now to explore whether or not it is a viable alternative to jekyll. The advantage in sphinx would be that we have localization support through gettext via pybabel, which is a huge step up from what we can do in jekyll.

Reworking a complete webpage for a new static side generator is quite a task, but so far sphinx seems to offer everything we need to generate the fortran-lang webpage.

Here is a screenshot of the main page build with sphinx locally:

Not perfect though, but quite nice considering that I haven’t wrote a single line raw HTML for this result (the current jekyll main page is HTML + liquid templating). Sphinx provides some quite powerful mechanisms here, which allow to directly build page layouts with bootstrap CSS in restructuredtext or myst-markdown.

The localization would be done via po files generated by pybabel from rst and md sources, but I haven’t gotten to a point where I can seriously test this yet.

3 Likes