Introducing purple in the gtk-fortran logo?

The \sqrt[gtk]{fortran} logo was committed on Jul 21, 2011. It expresses the alliance of GTK and Fortran: it includes the GTK logo (a RGB colored cube) and a n^{th} root as a link between GTK and our FORmula TRANslator. I like it but after seeing nice logos of fpm projects with the Fortran purple (#734f96 in the Fortran logo), I wanted to have also some purple in mine.

I tried to put a purple background, or to put some parts of the text in purple, but it was not nice. So I tried to change the color of the blue side of the GTK logo:
Before:
gtk-fortran-logo

After:
gtk-fortran-logo-purple

But I felt the purple was too intense. In Inkscape, the HSL (hue, saturation, lightness) values of the GTK blue were (211, 49, 63). The Fortran purple is (270, 31, 45). So I kept the same hue (270) and took the saturation and lightness of the GTK blue, and obtained that purple (270, 49, 63):
gtk-fortran-logo-light-purple

This update is subtle, but I like it as GTK people can still recognize their logo and Fortran people can recognize the purple color.

What’s your opinion?

The gtk-fortran logo uses the GTK logo (by Andreas Nilsson) and so is also under GNU Free Documentation License Version 1.2 or later & Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. Its font is DejaVu Sans, a font under a free license.

6 Likes

+1

You’ve achieved a nice balance between what GTK folks are used to and what the legacy and the present has with Fortran in its purple!

2 Likes

My eyes tell me Fortran logo’s purple is actually the least intense of the colors in the GTK cube. I like that one, because it’s another element emphasizing the fact this is GTK-Fortran, not just GTK. On the other hand, the purple you picked fits better with the other two colors of the cube. So my humble opinion is either keep the one you ended up or use the original Fortran purple together with less intense red and green colors.

But what am I talking about, human vision and colors perception is drastically deteriorated after 30, so maybe someone with more functional eyes knows better… :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I wanted to preserve: obviously the GTK blue is less intense than the red and green, as if light was coming from upward / backside. And that was a good occasion to use the HSL space…

Hum… I have happily not (yet) noticed any color deterioration with aging, just the eyes deforming in all space directions, one after the other… :egg: :nerd_face:

In his Ph.D. thesis (1970), Harold D. Craft Jr. drew with a computer a new kind of chart with the signal of CP 1919, the first pulsar discovered one year ago by Jocelyn Bell. I don’t know if he used FORTRAN, as his thesis is not online, but this purple one was generated with Fortran (gtk-fortran-extra/unknown_pleasures at main · vmagnin/gtk-fortran-extra · GitHub):

I used a bolder font and wider lines than in the B&W version to obtain a good contrast.

Feel free to use it for communication (or your T-shirt!).

1 Like