High Performance Fortran (HPF) history and lessons

@sblionel,

My point with bootstrapping a compiler and library development is they are very useful theoretical tests and checks on how convenient and functional the language is to support itself.

The above set of 6 specific items make it conceivable - at least at some practical level in year 2020 - to develop a compiler for Fortran in Fortran itself and more importantly, to have a broad set of libraries for Fortran written in Fortran itself. Sure, one can achieve certain limited success with libraries with current Fortran, however it’s nothing close to the expectations and demands of the modern computing space.

The unviability of even conceiving such things with Fortran in the modern environment shows the significant gaps in the language and its ecosystem. This sends strong, negative signals to influencers and powers-that-be across the board, globally.

Solutions such as Kokkos that the C++ based application developments can employ so readily will remain few and far in between for Fortran.

Continued existence of gaps and deficiencies in the base language itself will have tremendous adverse impact on Fortran.

This is only meant as an eye-opener, it’s NOT a clarion call for Fortran processors to be written in Fortran.

Please do not misunderstand me and don’t use what I’m trying to convey as theoretical checks to distract or deflect from the attention of the 6 specific items listed above.