Fortran Monthly Call: January 2021

Dear all,

It’s again time to organize our next monthly call which will be in the week of January 18-22; please see the following doodle poll to mark your availability:

Doodle: Fortran Monthly Call: January 2021

The final time slot will be selected and announced on the evening (European time) of Sunday January 17. Please complete the poll before then.

If there are specific topics or issues you would like to raise, even if you are unable to attend the call, please post them in the thread here.

As usual, we will record this call and make it available online.

All the best,

Jeremie

2 Likes

A recent message in the GCC mailing list made me think whether the “Google Summer of Code” might be a means to get more things done in a shorter interval and engage moer people in the development of fpm or the standard library. Just a thought, nothing concrete ;). And I do not even know what qualifications you need to have to participate in the programme (what kind of organisation for instance).

6 Likes

I really like the idea, both stdlib and fpm have suitable topics for larger, self-contained projects. Since we claim/know Fortran is an easy to use and learn language, we can prove it here. Certainly, it would be a nice experience for us as well to reduce barriers for students/developers trying to engage in Fortran development.

Seems like the organization registration will open on 29th January, so there is plenty of time to discuss, see

Has anyone already made experience with Google Summer of Code before? I saw two GSoC projects at SymPy mentored by @certik.

Dear all,

Our next monthly call will be on Tuesday, January 19 at 7pm CET (Amsterdam).

10:00 - 11:00 PDT (California)
18:00 - 19:00 GMT (London)
19:00 - 20:00 CET (Central Europe)

As previously I will post a reminder one hour before the meeting starts and the meeting will be recorded for those who cannot attend. Please continue to use this thread for topics you would like discussed at the meeting. A Zoom invitation will follow soon.

All the best,

Jeremie

Here is the Zoom info for the Fortran monthly call:

Topic: Fortran monthly call
Time: Jan 19, 2021 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 995 3620 3094
Passcode: 834450
One tap mobile
+16465588656,99536203094#,*834450# US (New York)

Dial by your location
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+39 021 241 28 823 Italy
+39 069 480 6488 Italy
+39 020 066 7245 Italy
Find your local number: https://miami.zoom.us/u/aeitmS7wbl

Join by SIP
99536203094@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323
162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)
213.244.140.110 (Germany)
103.122.166.55 (Australia)
64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
69.174.57.160 (Canada)

Here is the current agenda:

1. Google Summer of Code (interest, participation)
2. stdlib
 a. Versionning

Don’t hesitate to add topics at the agenda!

If @hsnyder can join, it’d be great to review and discuss the Gaussian quadrature API for stdlib.

(I won’t be able to join today, sorry!)

1 Like

I’m afraid I won’t be able to today either - have some work deadlines to hit. Sorry!

Edit: that said, if you want to briefly discuss it on the call, and post the community feedback on github, I would appreciate that. To summarize, the currently proposed API:

Gauss-legendre and gauss-legendre-lobatto points and weights, real64 only:

subroutine gauss_legendre(x,w,interval)
        real(real64), intent(out) :: x(:), w(:) ! pts, wghts
        real(real64), optional, intent(in) :: interval(2) ! This defaults to [-1.0_real64, 1.0_real64]
    end subroutine

subroutine gauss_legendre_lobatto(x,w,interval)
        real(real64), intent(out) :: x(:), w(:) ! pts, wghts
        real(real64), optional, intent(in) :: interval(2) ! This defaults to [-1.0_real64, 1.0_real64]
    end subroutine

Plus, Legendre polynomials and first derivative thereof (real32 and real64 would be offered):

elemental real function legendre (N, x)
    integer :: N ! which legendre polynomial?
    real :: x ! the point to evaluate at
end function

elemental real function dlegendre (N, x)
    integer :: N ! which legendre polynomial?
    real :: x ! the point to evaluate at
end function

And maybe this as well, for returning all legendre polys up to and including N (real32 and real64 would be offered):

subroutine legendre_upto (N, x, p)
    integer, intent(in) :: N ! highest legendre polynomial degree
    real, intent(in) :: x ! the point to evaluate
    real, intent(out) :: p(0:N)
end subroutine

My fast internet just went down, so I won’t be able to join today. Sorry about that.

Updated agenda:

1. Google Summer of Code (interest, participation)
2. stdlib
 a. Versionning
 b. Gaussian quadrature API

Thank you all for joining the meeting.

@argenti Thank you for joining the call and your proposition in the chat. I only saw it after the call. Sorry to have missed it.
I think your proposition would be appropriate for stdlib. Could you open an issue on Github (stdlib project) to discuss your proposition there, please?

1 Like

A few of my notes from the meeting:

• @awvwgk has made a number of pull requests to make stdlib usable as a CMake package. It is now the time to start versioning the library.
  • The GCC developers are also applying for GSoC and have a list of Fortran topics available at SummerOfCode - GCC Wiki. We can use our channels (Twitter account, Fortran newsletter) to advertise it (they need students interested in Fortran compiler development).
  • The SimplyFortran IDE is now shipping with an stdlib package (Thanks to @Arjen for the link). I think this is a great development, which could bring stdlib closer to many.
  • The stdlib-os module is currently not integratable with fpm, however it could be already put to good use within fpm.
  • The string list derived type proposed by @Arjen could be used to return the names of files and directories present in a given directory in the stdlib-os module.
6 Likes

The video is now up: