Fortran-lang accepted for Google Summer of Code 2022

Hi @milancurcic .
I have been exploring Fortran projects on Github and beyond that we can bring into fpm-registry. I had few question regarding those only. Should I mention those projects that I have explored in the meanwhile in my GSoC Proposal. And whether these projects can be changed in near future by taking in consideration the projects that community prioritize for this idea in GSoC?

Thanks
Arteev Raina

1 Like

Yes, I think that’s a good idea; include as much information as you think it useful. The project can evolve, and specific packages that you mention in your proposal won’t be set in stone. When the project starts, we’d continuously discuss, poll the community, and make decisions together and as we go. But if you describe a specific and concrete plan in your proposal, it would serve well as an example of taking initiative, which I’d regard as positive.

1 Like

I can contribute to Sparse matrix project but since I am working a full time job I may not be able to put in 350 hrs. Is there any alternative - 175 hrs?
I am a Ph.D in Structural Engineering - worked on Finite Element Methods.
If not in GSoC, I am happy to contribute otherwise - please let me know where to start and move forward.

2 Likes

I am also very interested in the Sparse matrix project. I am now a master’s student majoring in Operations Research and Computer Science at Georgia Tech. I have experience in using CUDA to create the parallel COO and ELL matrix multiplication function, which may be helpful to do this project.

3 Likes

Hi. Welcome to the Fortran family.
You may be the perfect candidate for this GSoC project. Please approach @certik and @ivanpribec . I will be happy to work with you outside GSoC in this project.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Ashok ! The discussions here are very helpful. It is my first time touching the Fortran-lang language. Do you have some guidance to start with the project?

As given in the GSoC page see #38 and #189 and contact @certik and @ivanpribec for further steps. May be you can share your previous works to them.

1 Like

Hi @milancurcic !
I have created a draft proposal for GSoC 22. Is there a way I can get it reviewed before the final submission by the mentors or other community members ? It will help me to improve it before the final submission.

Regards,
Arteev Raina

1 Like

Yes! If you feel comfortable with it, I’d encourage you to post it here on Discourse in its own thread, for widest reach and feedback. Otherwise, you can email the prospective mentors directly.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice on reseraching other playgrounds they proved a great starting point for my ideas. After several days of research and experimentation I have come up with a proposal for the project. Conforming with your comment above I’ve posted the proposal publicly for community feedback on a separate thread under GSOC’22 tag on the forum.
You can find it here
Playground proposal
I understand you will be the mentor for this project so I am waiting eagerly on your feedback.

1 Like