Fortran goals for 2022

I am available anytime to help, just let me know once you have time and let’s work on it.

Awesome. Are you thinking more numerical / performance oriented, or more “Fortran tutorial” oriented?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Teaching Fortran with Jupyter

I’m probably going to be fairly busy for the next few weeks, but then things should slow down some and we should have some requirements and the beginnings of specs for the generics features, so that will be a good time to start working on it.

I’m thinking more “Fortran tutorial” oriented. I would expect usage caps, possibly with a subscription based model to limit hammering some poor server with HPC level workloads, but offer discounts and/or higher limits to students for learning purposes. Needs some more thought probably, but would definitely make Fortran more approachable (maybe even as easy as Matlab? :wink:)

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Issues with Intel Fortran in Visual Studio

3 posts were split to a new topic: Funding for Fortran community

Several posts mentioned creating more Fortran tutorials. I suggest that anyone who has put instructional Fortran material on GitHub use the fortran-tutorial tag for their repo. A few people did so at my request, and there are now 5 listed, but there are many more on GitHub. There are many repos for the topic python-tutorial, and it should be equally easy to find Fortran info.

6 Likes

I have been moving posts around a bit to keep this thread focused on the original topic, while giving the new discussions room to continue without inter-leaving with each other. Carry on.

8 Likes

Perfect! I was going to ask you to split the VS discussions. :slight_smile: Everybody please keep posting your ideas, and we can split them into separate discussions as needed.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Improving syntax highlighting of Fortran code on GitHub

I was waiting the same, I did not know about those courses @CRquantum , thanks for share.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Making Fortran projects easier to discover

a design doc of autodiff.

3 Likes

I think I remember hearing or reading that the frequency of FortranCon would be every eighteen months. In that case, it would be FortranCon 2023.

Yes, see the last slide in Tiziano’s close-out talk:
https://tcevents.chem.uzh.ch/event/14/contributions/60/attachments/75/163/Talk_FortranCon21_Closeout.pdf

1 Like

Indeed, there will be a gap in 2022, maybe we can organize a Fortran conference to fill in?

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: A customizable linter: Flinter