Code Editors/IDEs used for Fortran

Thank you all for voting and having these interesting discussions about your favourite editors. I think the poll validates my hunch about having a large VS Code user-base here in Fortran Lang. Hopefully we can use this to our advantage in the days to come to provide better tooling for the Fortran community.

The plan is for the repo transfer to occur sometime next week, with hopefully, minimal disruption to the end users.

My available free time for development of the extension is expected to be limited in the coming months so I was hoping I could see some of you contribute to the project.

On that note I will be closing the poll. Thank you all again for participating!

Just a small note, your modern Fortran extension isnā€™t on the open source versions of VS Code(VS Codium and Code OSS). If it is, I am not sure how to enable it :frowning:

I am not sure what that means. Could you please elaborate?

There are open source binaries of Microsoft VS code. When trying to install your ā€œModern Fortranā€ extension. It doesnā€™t appear in the extension store for these binaries.

I do not know if it is still possible to vote. I only use emacs, just for everthing.

1 Like

Okay, from what I recall Vscodium uses by default an open source marketplace from the Eclipse foundation called Open-vsx.

We have actually a registered publisher with the store but there are a few issues that I need to look into 1) we rely on the C++ extension which is authored by Microsoft and I donā€™t know it thatā€™s available in open-vsx 2) our version release supports Pre-releases but open-vsx did not (not sure if that has changed) so we canā€™t use our GitHub actions workflow to publish Dev versions to open vsx, which is quite annoying.

in addition, the publisher id we have is not with Fortran lang so i have to go and ask for a new id.

Open vsx is on my to-do list but I will admit itā€™s not near the top.

1 Like

Thank you, I just thought Iā€™d quickly bring it to your notice :slight_smile:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Simply Fortran package server