Centralised repository for Fortran-lang artwork

I have created a centralised repo under Fortran-lang (GitHub - fortran-lang/assets: Assets, artwork and graphics for fortran-lang) to contain all the images, artwork and graphics used by the Organisation in an attempt to make locating and using these assets easier.

I have gone ahead and added the fpm assets already and I am in the process of designing the assets for vscode. Could I ask for the people that either own or are aware of assets that are not currently in the repo to open PRs with the additions?

Also, @Beliavsky (for the F logo) could post the licenses you are distributing your works under?

5 Likes

See Choosing a license for logo and other artistic assets · Issue #51 · fortran-lang/webpage · GitHub for a previous discussion on this. The Fortran and fpm logos are distributed under MIT license (to my knowledge).

4 Likes

Okay thanks, just wanted to double check.

BTW do we store somewhere the SVG and the PNG forms of the F logo?

No, but it takes only a few seconds to recreate in Inkscape (it’s an F in Clarendon BT font on a violet, rounded box). Uploaded an SVG which should produce the same PNG.

Do we have an agreement as to the relative separation of F from the corners/edges of the square? If not we might want to consider adding one, see for example Visual Studio Code and VS Code icons and names usage guidelines

1 Like

FYI: the original official version of the F logo is here: fortran-lang.org/assets/img at master · fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org · GitHub

I would use that, so we don’t have several slightly different versions floating around. There is the original svg, and some pngs rendered in different sizes.

3 Likes

That’s what I was looking for, thanks @jacobwilliams.

1 Like

Can you check if you are comfortable with the following 2 statements

and

I think there should be a mention of the Copyright holder as well. Do you know who that is?

1 Like

Are Milan and I the copyright holders? As far as I’m concerned, it’s just an F in a box that didn’t take any great amount of creativity on my part to make. :wink: I’d also be fine with saying it has a CC0 type license.

2 Likes