2021 LLVM Developer's Meeting

https://llvm.swoogo.com/2021devmtg/1538015

Starting in one week on 16.11, the LLVM meeting will be a 4 day event including talks, tutorials, and panel discussion.

Fortran-relevant talks I could find include:

• Round Table - Flang, Thursday, 18 November 2021, 10:45 AM - 11:45 AM
  • How to Use Enzyme to Automatically Differentiate Any LLVM-based Language for CPU, GPU, and More, Friday, 19 November 2021
  • Introduction to the Flang Frontend, Friday, 19 November 2021, 13:00 - 13:45

[Times given for (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)]

5 Likes

Yes, the Enzyme library sounds very useful. I talked with the author a few years ago how to use it in LFortran, but didn’t have time yet. If anybody is interested in exploring that, please let me know.

There will also be a Flang round table on Thursday. (I’ve added it in the first post.)

Hey, one of the Enzyme co-authors here. We are already doing a good bit with Fortran and have made it a point to preserve the use of Fortran in papers. But I fully agree that more usage of Enzyme with Fortran poses some interesting problems, as well as possibilities.

To be completely frank, the one thing making it quite difficult, if not to say an art form, to use Fortran at the moment is the state of the LLVM Fortran stack. If you want to have a look at how it manifests in practice please feel free to have a look at the Makefile at one of the more recent benchmarks.

There also exists quite a bit of stuff with Fortran which is still in the works and will probably come through the publication pipeline in the next few months or so…

If there are further questions, or specific use-cases people are interested in if they are already doable with Enzyme, or a gap which would still need work with Enzyme I’d be happy to take a look at it.

But maybe it would be cleaner to break out such discussion into a separate thread :slight_smile:

I started a new thread for Enzyme + Fortran integration:

Let’s discuss it there.

1 Like