Speed of computing matmul(A, transpose(A))

I have timed various ways to compute the Gram matrix matmul(A, transpose(A)) aka A*A' using gfortran on Windows and found that

1. It is much faster to compute
         xtr = transpose(x)
         g = matmul(x, xtr)

than to pass tranpose(x) as an argument with g = matmul(x, transpose(x))

1. It is almost twice as fast to compute A*A' with loops.

2. Trying to exploit the symmetry of the result by computing only some of the elements of the Gram matrix is much slower, to my surprise.

The code is

module kind_mod
implicit none
private
public :: dp
integer, parameter :: dp = kind(1.0d0)
end module kind_mod

module util_mod
use kind_mod, only: dp
implicit none
private
public :: gram, gram_sub, gram_symm
contains
function gram(A) result(G)
  ! computes matmul(A, transpose(A))
  real(kind=dp), intent(in) :: A(:,:)
  real(kind=dp) :: G(size(A,1), size(A,1))
  integer :: i, j, k
  G = 0.0_dp
  do j = 1, size(A,1)
    do k = 1, size(A,2)
      do i = 1, size(A,1)
        G(i,j) = G(i,j) + A(i,k)*A(j,k)
      end do
    end do
  end do
end function gram
!
subroutine gram_sub(A, G)
  ! computes matmul(A, transpose(A))
  real(kind=dp), intent(in)  :: A(:,:)
  real(kind=dp), intent(out) :: G(:,:)
  G = 0.0_dp
  do j = 1, size(A,1)
    do k = 1, size(A,2)
      do i = 1, size(A,1)
      end do
    end do
  end do
end subroutine gram_sub
!
function gram_symm(A) result(G)
  ! computes matmul(A, transpose(A)) exploiting symmetry of the result
  real(kind=dp), intent(in) :: A(:,:)
  real(kind=dp) :: G(size(A,1), size(A,1))
  G = 0.0_dp
  do j = 1, size(A,1)
    do k = 1, size(A,2)
      do i = j, size(A,1)
      end do
    end do
  end do
  ! Copy the upper triangle to the lower triangle
  do j = 1, size(A,1)
    do i = j+1, size(A,1)
      G(j,i) = G(i,j)
    end do
  end do
end function gram_symm
end module util_mod

program xgram
! 06/01/2023 04:33 PM compare speed of gram(x) and matmul(x, transpose(x))
use kind_mod, only: dp
use util_mod, only: gram, gram_symm, gram_sub
use iso_fortran_env, only: compiler_version, compiler_options
implicit none
integer, parameter :: n1 = 10**2, n2=10**6, ntimes = 7
real(kind=dp) :: x(n1,n2), xtr(n2,n1), g(n1, n1), gsub(n1, n1), gsymm(n1, n1), gchk(n1, n1), times(ntimes)
logical, parameter :: debug = .false.
print*,"compiler_version: " // compiler_version()
print*,"compiler_options: " // compiler_options()
call random_seed()
call random_number(x)
call cpu_time(times(1)) ; xtr = transpose(x)
call cpu_time(times(2)) ; g = gram(x)
call cpu_time(times(3)) ; call gram_sub(x, gsub)
call cpu_time(times(4)) ; gsymm = gram_symm(x)
call cpu_time(times(5)) ; gchk = matmul(x, xtr) ! use precomputed transpose(x)
call cpu_time(times(6)) ; gchk = matmul(x, transpose(x))
call cpu_time(times(7))
print "(*(g0, 1x))", "n1, n2, kind(x), huge(x) =",n1, n2, kind(x), huge(x)
if (debug) then
   print*,maxval(g), maxval(gchk), minval(g), minval(gchk)
   print*,g(1, 1), gchk(1, 1), g(n1, n1), gchk(n1, n1)
   print*,"g(1, 2), g(2, 1) =", g(1, 2), g(2, 1)
end if
print*,"max diff =",maxval(abs(g-gchk)), maxval(abs(g-gsymm))
print "(/,*(a15))", "operation", "tranpose", "gram", "gram_sub", "gram_symm", "matmul", "matmul_temp"
print "(a15,*(f15.3))", "time", times(2:) - times(:ntimes-1)
end program xgram

and sample results compiling with gfortran -march=native -O3 -flto are

compiler_version: GCC version 13.0.0 20221218 (experimental)
 compiler_options: -march=tigerlake -mmmx -mpopcnt -msse -msse2 -msse3 -mssse3 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -mavx -mavx2 -mno-sse4a -mno-fma4 -mno-xop -mfma -mavx512f -mbmi -mbmi2 -maes -mpclmul -mavx512vl -mavx512bw -mavx512dq -mavx512cd -mno-avx512er -mno-avx512pf -mavx512vbmi -mavx512ifma -mno-avx5124vnniw -mno-avx5124fmaps -mavx512vpopcntdq -mavx512vbmi2 -mgfni -mvpclmulqdq -mavx512vnni -mavx512bitalg -mno-avx512bf16 -mavx512vp2intersect -mno-3dnow -madx -mabm -mno-cldemote -mclflushopt -mclwb -mno-clzero -mcx16 -mno-enqcmd -mf16c -mfsgsbase -mfxsr -mno-hle -msahf -mno-lwp -mlzcnt -mmovbe -mmovdir64b -mmovdiri -mno-mwaitx -mno-pconfig -mno-pku -mno-prefetchwt1 -mprfchw -mno-ptwrite -mrdpid -mrdrnd -mrdseed -mno-rtm -mno-serialize -mno-sgx -msha -mshstk -mno-tbm -mno-tsxldtrk -mvaes -mno-waitpkg -mno-wbnoinvd -mxsave -mxsavec -mxsaveopt -mxsaves -mno-amx-tile -mno-amx-int8 -mno-amx-bf16 -mno-uintr -mno-hreset -mno-kl -mno-widekl -mno-avxvnni -mno-avx512fp16 -mno-avxifma -mno-avxvnniint8 -mno-avxneconvert -mno-cmpccxadd -mno-amx-fp16 -mno-prefetchi -mno-raoint --param=l1-cache-size=48 --param=l1-cache-line-size=64 --param=l2-cache-size=12288 -mtune=tigerlake -g -O3 -Wall -Werror=unused-parameter -Werror=unused-variable -Werror=unused-function -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -Wno-surprising -flto -fbounds-check -fmodule-private
n1, n2, kind(x), huge(x) = 100 1000000 8 0.17976931348623157E+309
 max diff =   1.1641532182693481E-010   0.0000000000000000     

operation       tranpose           gram       gram_sub      gram_symm         matmul    matmul_temp
           time          1.000          0.859          0.797          4.734          0.516          5.781

One should compare the time for gram or gram_sub with the sum of times for transpose and matmul. Suggestions for speeding up the calculation are welcome.

1 Like

If you have an optimized blas library available, then the gfortran compiler option -fexternal-blas should give an improvement in performance for the matmul() code.

[Edit: I removed the statement about optimization. Now I see the -O3 in the list.]

If you are willing to code directly to sgemm/dgemm, then you will almost certainly get the optimal timings with just the straightforward dgemm() call where you ignore the symmetry of the output matrix. If that symmetry is critical (i.e. to the last bit), then you should explicitly symmetrize the result since roundoff errors can cause small differences.

One other thing to experiment with is the do loop order. Your routines use a daxpy inner-most loop, which requires two memory fetches and a memory store each pass. If you rearrange the loops to a dot product order (or use dot_product() explicitly), then there are two memory fetches and a register store each pass. For the A.A^T operation, one of the vectors in the dot product will have a nonunit stride. If you were computing A^T.A, then both vectors in the dot product would have unit strides. Since you have A^T stored already in xtr(:,:), you might want to try the dot product loop versions of matmul(transpose(xtr),xtr) to see how they compare.

I have done some testing of Gfortran’s MATMUL in 2021 and it had very good single thread performance.
I understand it’s strategy is to divide the matrices into 4x4 sub matrices and optimise the AVX instructions for L1 cache performance.
My multi-thread calcs on both I7 and AMD using 4 threads achieve similar performance, while my OMP attempts with L3 cache strategies on 12 thread I7 or 24 thread AMD attempts stall with memory bandwidth limitations.
The Gfortran approach highlighted to me the importance of L1 cache for AVX, but my OMP L3 cache strategies need more understanding.

1 Like