Parallel FPM on conda-forge

I just wanted to point out that, as of today, the latest FPM build on conda-forge is now built with openmp so will compile your code in parallel. This update is courtesy of @awvwgk. So, now for large projects things compile way faster!

Get it with conda install fpm or pixi add fpm.

9 Likes

This is excellent news! One question though, do you know if other distribution channels could profit from that? For instance, on windows I usually prefere winget to conda to install fpm as it provides an install that is directly visible OS-user wise instead of only for the conda terminal.

And something I was wondering. Is the number of threads fixed to the available threads on the machine or can one adjust it in the fpm build CLI?

That’s a question for the FPM developers. I think you have to use the OMP_NUM_THREADS env variable? A -j argument would be nice…but i don’t think that works?

1 Like

Sure, just curious if you knew.

Exactly what I would love to see.

BTW, I uninstalled in my personal PC the fpm I had from winget and got it on conda to test the parallel build and yes, it is so much faster. Usually building stdlib with fpm was painstakingly slow, thus I was mainly building with cmake+ninja, I now see all my cores busy and the console moving forward very fast :slight_smile:

2 Likes