OpenCoarrays supports Windows

Released moments ago, OpenCoarrays 2.10.0 is the first OpenCoarrays version that supports installation and use in Windows natively, i.e., without requiring the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Many thanks go to @zbeekman of ParaTools, Inc., for his work on the CMake build system and to @everythingfunctional of Archaeologic Inc. and Sourcery Institute for a helpful review. The work on this release was performed under the generous support of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

See the Release Notes for a link to the Windows installation instructions.

13 Likes

Thanks, I will try this and mention it when I tweet about Coarrays.

It may not aid the perception that Fortran is a modern language when a Fortran consultancy is named Archaeologic :slight_smile: .

1 Like

@Beliavsky, excellent point. Thanks for your perspective. I spent a long portion of my career running away from the notion that Fortran is an old language. Sometimes I didn’t even mention that I wrote Fortran. I once gave an entire job talk on object-oriented design patterns without ever mentioning the language of implementation until an audience member asked a question that I couldn’t answer without naming Fortran, at which point I sheepishly admitted, “Hi, I’m Damian and I write Fortran.”

Part of our goal with the name Archaeologic is unabashedly embrace all things Fortran, the old and the new. Our largest project is a software archaeology project in which we’re modernizing code that has been under active development for more than 30 years and still uses many Fortran 66 features. That code predicts the likelihood of fracture in nuclear reactor pressure vessels. If there weren’t still some really old Fortran codes performing really important service to humanity, we wouldn’t be employed. We embrace that fact even in our name.

5 Likes