New (revived) scientific Graphics Library

Hello Fortran community,

Back in 1981, George Kelley and I were plasma physicists at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). We needed high-resolution plotting for our plasma equilibria simulations, which led us to create GraphiC.

I have recently modernized the 2D engine for modern scientific workflows:

  • Modern Fortran 2003+ via iso_c_binding
  • Fortran Package Manager (fpm) support out of the box
  • Zero dependencies: direct vector SVG output (no X11, OpenGL, or GUI toolkits needed)
  • Cross-platform: Linux, macOS, and Windows

Quickstart with fpm:

bash

# Build library and modules

fpm build

# Run examples (outputs publication-grade SVG and companion HTML viewer)

fpm run --example sample

fpm run --example bartest

The free 2D Community Edition includes complete Fortran bindings, outline Hershey fonts, TrueType support, and curated 2D examples: :package: Download & Manual: https://jamesrome.com

I welcome any feedback or test results from the community across different compilers and platforms!

Best regards,
James Rome
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (Retired)

11 Likes