Monthly Newsletter Organisation

As discussed in the last monthly call we want to streamline the process of creating the monthly newsletters to ensure everybody has enough time to contribute and we are always able to publish on time. This involves for one documenting the general workflow on how the newsletter is produced and also automating the creation of individual parts of the newsletter.

For this purpose we want to elect a community member responsible for initiating the newsletter, inviting contributors and merging it on time. The tentative name for this role was Champion of the Month if I recall correctly.

I started summarizing the newsletter workflow at the fortran-lang.org wiki page:

The original tracking issue (Newsletter Ā· Issue #3 Ā· fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org Ā· GitHub) also contains some information on the overall scope, which we will incorporate in the wiki page.

This wiki page also contains the list of our community champions for the months to come. Feel free to add yourself to the list, or post here in this thread if you want to take over the organization for an upcoming newsletter.

5 Likes

Wonderful, thank you for starting it. I made a few additions and signed up for August.

1 Like

Thanks!

I would also like to see updates from more compilers, not just LFortran and Flang, but also GFortran and Intel, NAG, Cray, ā€¦ would be nice.

3 Likes

I agree.

@themos, are you interested in contributing NAG compiler updates for the newsletter? See what it looks like, for example, for Flang and LFortran: Fortran newsletter: May 2021 - Fortran Programming Language. If you or your colleagues already keep a changelog for the compiler, it shouldnā€™t be more than a few minutes per month effort.

3 Likes

@milancurcic, we are not currently keeping our customers updated with such fine-grained information. We do of course have a roadmap of features for next releases (and it is potentially commercially sensitive) and customers regularly ask us for features to be prioritised. I will consult to see if we can make more information available through our website, which you would then be able to direct to, or summarise here.

5 Likes

FWIW, The current Cray (now HPE) Fortran compiler is F2018-compliant. If you find a case we missed, please file a bug. I believe the ifort compiler in Intelā€™s oneAPI package also supports all of F2018 (though that is not the case for the ifx Fortran compiler in the same package).

2 Likes

We donā€™t have anyone down to champion the newsletter at the end of this month (August) - unfortunately Iā€™m away at this time, are there any volunteers? The process is quite straightforward and Sebastianā€™s guide covers everything you need to know.

2 Likes

I would take up the next newsletter, but Iā€™ll be away the last week in August as well. Not the best prerequisites to get it merged in time, unfortunately.

But maybe we can still find a volunteer to help us out here.

1 Like

I can start it some time during the weekend.

2 Likes

@lkedward Can you still champion the October newsletter? Iā€™ll have limited time but can help if needed.

We donā€™t have volunteers yet for the November and December newsletters. This is an easy way to contribute to Fortran-lang if you want to but donā€™t know how to start.

Yes, Iā€™ll start it today - apologies for the delay.

2 Likes

Hi Everybody,

Weā€™re looking for another newsletter ā€œchampionā€ on the month. Champion means simply for a contributor to open a newsletter draft PR, and receive all contributions by November 1. See a recent example PR: Initial draft of october newsletter. by LKedward Ā· Pull Request #339 Ā· fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org Ā· GitHub, and Iā€™ll be happy to guide you through all the steps. Itā€™s a great and easy way to contribute and get your name out there. The newsletter is distributed to more than 1600 people and growing.

Please let me know if youā€™d like to help.

Hereā€™s the tally of newsletter champions so far, I really hope we can grow this list:

@milancurcic: 9
@awvwgk: 4
@jeremie.vandenplas: 2
@lkedward: 2
@certik: 1

4 Likes

It is again time to organize our monthly newsletter and we are looking for a volunteer to champion the next newsletter for the 1st December.

1 Like

Thanks, @awvwgk, Iā€™ll start the newsletter draft tomorrow (Nov. 27).

1 Like

Itā€™s again time for organizing our monthly newsletter for a particular short month. Anyone interested in picking up the newsletter for this February?

1 Like

I just opened a PR with the newsletter draft:

I welcome everybody to review and/or make edits.

2 Likes