Improving Fortran standardization process (lessons from C++23 getting multidimensional arrays)

One could also argue the time of C++ is over, with so many languages appearing that aim to replace C++ (Rust, Carbon, etc.). If you think C++ is “winning”, how is this for an opinion from a long-time C++ programmer who also participated in the standardization process:

It’s been over a year since I touched C++ professionally and I am surprised to say I don’t miss it in the slightest. A committee that doesn’t listen, tooling that doesn’t care about user experience, claims of anything being inactionable when in reality people don’t want to do the work, the constant fear, uncertainty, and doubt masqueraded around regarding the ABI.

I would highly recommend the following article by Jeff Atwood - The Magpie Developer, and the article quoted therein by Andy Hunt and Dave Thomas - Imaginate. (Andy Hunt and Dave Thomas are the authors of the widely known book - The Pragmatic Programmer.)

As Jeff Atwood says:

Don’t feel inadequate if you aren’t lining your nest with the shiniest, newest things possible. Who cares what technology you use, as long as it works, and both you and your users are happy with it?

That’s the beauty of new things: there’s always a new one coming along. Don’t let the pursuit of new, shiny things accidentally become your goal. Avoid becoming a magpie developer. Be selective in your pursuit of the shiny and new, and you may find yourself a better developer for it.

The recent thread - Altair Radioss - FEM solver goes open source - is an excellent example. To me, the mixture of F77 and F90 source code looks like a mess, the coding style is one of the oddest I’ve ever seen. But if you look at their Testimonials page, the crash simulator is used by excellent professors and engineering departments, and the solver has received pledges of support from AMD, Arm, and Intel, three of the top CPU manufacturers.

12 Likes