GSoC'22 : Fortran playground - LIVE NOW

Absolutely brilliant, @ashirrwad , congratulations on great work. And kudos to @milancurcic and @Arjen for their contributions to the creation.

A question, on this cc: to @milancurcic and @Arjen

If one of the major goals is as you state to “to showcase Fortran features to new users” then is it possible to allow for an option to select a Fortran processor in the “playground” and perhaps even default the choice of the processor to the one that comes closest to a current Fortran standard?

The reason for my inquiry is this: I tried a few very simple cases and they worked flawlessly in the playground. Then I arbitrarily tried a case in this thread and I got the same error in the Fortran playground as with gfortran. However to the best of my knowledge, the example therein conforms to the Fortran standard and it works as expected with two other processors including Intel oneAPI IFORT. Now IFORT is a Fortran 2018 compiler (yeah I know about the outstanding bugs and some missing support like an additional character kind).

But it will be nice if the Fortran playground can use some other processors also so that it can be showcased more broadly with a current edition of the Fortran standard.

4 Likes