GSoC 22: fpm-ize the Fortran Ecosystem || Blog Post by Arteev Raina || #1

Happy Monday everyone,

I am Arteev Raina. I have been selected as a GSoC Contributor for working on the idea of fpm-ize the Fortran Ecosystem this summer.

The community bonding period has already started and I know this is a great time for me to learn about the organization, and technologies and design a concrete plan with my mentors for the coding period.

I already started learning about the Fortran Programming Language and Fortran Package Manager during the application period for GSoC. So, for this week I will be mostly :

• Revising the Fortran Language (already started) using the quick start documentation available here.

• Reading the documentation for Fortran Package Manager that is available here.

• Getting familiar with the culture and practices of the organization.

• Getting in contact with mentors and other community members to discuss the project plan.

If any community member wants to add some resources for learning about Fortran and FPM, Please free feel to reach out to me at arteevraina@gmail.com or directly comment under my blog post.

Also, by this week or next week I will be reaching out to community members to ask their opinion regarding the packages that they want should be prioritized to get compatible with Fortran Package Manager.

I want to thank my mentors and community members for giving me the opportunity to contribute to the growth of the Fortran Ecosystem. I am really happy to be a part of the Fortran community.

Thanks & Regards
Arteev Raina

10 Likes

Thanks a lot, @arteevraina, for the intro post.

We’ll meet on Thursday, 5/26 at 1300 UTC to kick off the project. Everybody’s welcome to join.

Topic: Fortran-lang GSoC 2022 meeting room
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 956 5178 6482
One tap mobile
+16465588656,95651786482# US (New York)

Dial by your location
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+39 069 480 6488 Italy
+39 020 066 7245 Italy
+39 021 241 28 823 Italy
Find your local number: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

Join by SIP
95651786482@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323
162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)
213.244.140.110 (Germany)
103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney)
103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne)
64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto)
65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver)

6 Likes

Unfortunately I won’t be able to join the GSoC meetings today.

@milancurcic I am curious if integrating fpm to VS Code falls within the scope and the roadmap you have for this project? (I would have asked in the meeting but I got caught up with work).

@gnikit, it may be to an extent. On the call we agreed that our overall goal is to identify limitations of fpm that make it difficult to fpm-ize some packages, and to improve fpm in those regards. Some key ideas discussed were:

• Pre-processor support
  • Support for dependencies via pkg-config

@arteevraina may comment more about this soon. I’d say the project is currently very much at the stage of market and feasibility research.

3 Likes

Hi @milancurcic ,
I have been trying to read more about preprocessor support and pkg config. Other than the idea list here. Are there any other links or resources that can help me understand the above topics ?

Thanks & Regards
Arteev Raina

I don’t know enough about pkg-config to comment. Regarding pre-processors, doing a survey of Fortran packages that rely on preprocessors, and noting what preprocessors are used will be helpful to define the minimal scope for preprocessor support in fpm. I suspect that most packages use the compiler-companion preprocessors, and fewer (including stdlib) use fypp.

1 Like

Sure thing. I am reaching out to the community for doing a survey for the packges.