Getting started on Windows

This is the page you are looking for. What did you select when installing?

I had that too

And what visual studio packages do you have installed?

I did not select any optional packages. The default optional packages were about 9 GB in size, so I did not select any.

I guess that explains it. If you select nothing you basically have an empty Visual Studio installation.
I can’t remember exactly which components are required, but the “Desktop development with C++” workload I think is more than enough:

so the basic idea of saving space with a standalone Fortran compiler is still not achieved. To make it work, the estimated disk space is 13 GB. However, it is still better than the 60 GB ( Basic + HPC ) toolkit.

I have installed MSYS2 and the needed packages: everything is OK, and that’s just all what I need at the moment. Moreover no admin right is required for the main installation or for the packages, so I could install it on my company laptop without bothering with the IT helpdesk…

1 Like

Note that MSYS2 is rather slow, maybe due to filesystems differences (?). And I suspect that antivirus or antimalware softwares are also slowing it. But concerning CPU calculations, I think it is not impeded. Anyway, it is a good choice for someone coming from the Unix world and wanting to work immediately the same way as usual but in Windows…

Note also that using the newer UCRT64 is better than MINGW64: Environments - MSYS2

1 Like