Fortran Package Manager GUI

Here’s a GUI for the Fortran Package Manager that I just vibe-coded using Claude Opus 5.5. Repo is: GitHub - jacobwilliams/VibeFPMGUI: A vibe-coded GUI for the Fortran Package Manager or something · GitHub

It’s just trivially easy to make whatever we want now. I spent almost no time on this. This one is written in Python/Pyside6 and has some nice features. I may expand it.

7 Likes

…and 10 min later i’ve had it add a rudimentary editor with build error highlighting. Amazing!

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder with such tools if they should be editor plugins, say in VS Code, Sublime, IntelliJ, Cursor and so forth. The downside is maintaining a plugin for different editors is too much work.

The opposite way, providing a new editor is also not attractive, as it becomes a much bigger task and everyone already has their favorite.

1 Like

And… this morning i’ve added AI code reviews, using free local models (that you can download from Ollama). This is epic feature creep!!

Now translate from Python to Fortran. Unless you are moving from Fortran to Python, that is. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hmmm…the only question is this: do i vibe code a Fortran/Qt binding… or do I have it just convert all of Qt to Fortran?

Now we are talking. Of course you convert a subset of Qt that you need to Fortran. Call the system graphics bindings directly.

1 Like

2 Likes

Why stop there? Convert OS kernel into Fortran and just boot directly into Fortran bliss! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are not stopping there. But we do have to start somewhere too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1 Like