First release of the Fortran standard library

Yes - congratulations and thanks for all your hard work.
I have grabbed it and have started building and noticed that there are shed loads of warning messages when I’d expect libraries to build cleanly - no doubt this is easy to fix.
More seriously I think there is a structural problem. I picked one file, median, and the source code is over 77k lines long and the .o is over 159MB This is far too big for general use. It looks as if fpm generates all combinations that can be legal. If that’s true I suggest that every one gets written to it’s own source file and compiled separately, that way when building from an archive only the routines that are actually used will be pulled in.
Avoiding this sort of bloat is one of the reasons C++ is introducing modules so it would be good not to start behind the curve on this one.
Since templates aren’t part of the language yet we are a bit hampered but would it be possible to use the old cfront method that C++ used to use? On the HP at least it would compile and link the program then deduce the template instantiations it needed from the undefined symbols, write the necessary code then build and link a second time - slow but always interesting to watch!

6 Likes