Extensible derived type that contains a coarray

Hi, I have a question here. Much appreciated if you could help!
So, here is my code:

$ cat extensible.f90
module util
    implicit none

type :: base_t
        real :: x
    end type base_t

type, extends(base_t) :: ext_t
        real :: y
        real, allocatable :: data(:) [:]
    end type ext_t
end module util

and if I compile it with caf -c extensible.f90 I get the following error:

$ caf -c extensible.f90
extensible.f90:8:34:

8 |     type, extends(base_t) :: ext_t
Error: As extending type 'ext_t' at (1) has a coarray component, parent type 'base_t' shall also have one

My question is, why is the coarray component also required in the parent type?

1 Like

The programmer is not required to allocate the coarray component in the base type, thus the only explanation I could find for myself is that the base type requires it’s own coarray component only for proper initialization and to be prepared for a coarray component extension then (the brains behind such design decisions are certainly experts): A derived type object containing a coarray component is obviously a distributed object. (In a more advanced setup, this can also be the case for derived type objects that do not contain coarray components). The (serial) counterpart is a purely local derived type object (not containing coarray components); Distributed objects allow remote communication, purely local objects do not.

Although kargl posted words from the Standard that amounted to a prohibition, my own reading of the 2018 Standard finds no such restriction.

I didn’t see kargl’s post but C736 seems to be the constraint that is being enforced:

C736 (R726) If EXTENDS appears and the type being defined has a coarray ultimate component, its parent type shall have a coarray ultimate component.

1 Like

A similar explanation can be found in Modern Fortran explained, section 17.8, last sentence, as well in the above compile time error message. I thought the question here was why the Fortran language was designed that way.

For a variable declared as class(thing), allocatable :: my_variable, the compiler needs to know if there is a possibility that allocating that variable will require synchronization. Allocating a coarray requires synchronization. Thus for any type that doesn’t have a coarray, the compiler needs to be able assume that any types extended from it don’t have a coarray, otherwise it would have to assume the opposite, and the use of any polymorphism (class(thing) variables) would require synchronization, even if there aren’t actually coarrays used.

I haven’t read the standard close enough to answer this, so does anyone know, is it required that class(*) variables not have coarray components, are compilers required to synchronize on allocation of class(*), or is this a potential loophole?

1 Like

Thank you!

is it required that class(*) variables not have coarray components, are compilers required to synchronize on allocation of class(*) ,…

I can only confirm that declaring and allocating with class( * ) together with coarray components (using OpenCoarrays/gfortran) does work. Such codes appear not to conflict with the Fortran language (refering to MFe, section 17.8): class( * ) is declared only alongside with a coarray component thus, allocation of a class( * ) variable apparently does not involve synchronization, I’d say.
But using unlimited polymorphism to define and implement parallelism with distributed objects is really advanced stuff and may require to adapt a distributed objects model for that purpose.

On the other hand, declaring a derived type that contains a coarray component as

class(thing), allocatable :: my_variable

does also work (using OpenCoarrays). But this appears to conflict with the rule that such a variable must be non-allocatable. That’s why I am personally shy of using this.

I can only confirm that declaring and allocating with class( * ) together with coarray components (using OpenCoarrays/gfortran) does work. Such codes appear not to conflict with the Fortran language (refering to MFe, section 17.8): class( * ) is declared only alongside with a coarray component thus, allocation of a class( * ) variable apparently does not involve synchronization, I’d say.

Somebody just pointed me to a rule of the Fortran 2018 standard: “C937 (R927) type-spec shall not specify a type that has a coarray ultimate component.” I can’t tell if this rule does apply to the following test case. Ifort as well as OpenCoarrays/gfortran can handle such codes. Admitedly, I did only check for this and don’t use such coding myself yet.

program main
end program main

module a
implicit none
private
type, abstract, public :: base_type
  private
  integer, public, codimension[:], dimension (:), allocatable :: m_base_cc
contains
end type base_type
end module a

module b
use a
implicit none
private
type, extends(base_type), abstract, public :: my_type
  private
  class (*), allocatable, public :: object
  integer, public, codimension[:], dimension (:), allocatable :: m_my_cc
contains
  private
  procedure, public :: s => sb
end type my_type
contains
subroutine sb (FO, object)
  class (my_type), intent (inout) :: FO
  class (*), intent(out), allocatable :: object
  allocate (object, source = FO%object)
end subroutine sb
end module b

As far as I can say, the test case seems conforming to the Fortran 2018 standard, at least if the sourced allocation is conforming.

To solve this I did bother to download the standards text (the freely available version), which I usually don’t use.

R927 allocate-stmt is ALLOCATE ( [ type-spec :: ] allocation-list5
[ , alloc-opt-list ] )

C937 (R927) type-spec shall not specify a type that has a coarray ultimate component

This C937(R927) is the same as Modern Fortran explained, section 17.8: “A variable … of a type that has an ultimate coarray component … must be a … non-allocatable scalar.”
(My simple test case did not even declare such a variable, but if it did it would be non-allocatable).

Another complaint was with the sourced allocation:

C949 (R930) The declared type of source-expr shall not have a coarray ultimate component

The source-expr in my test case was FO%object which is declared as class( * ) and does not have a coarray ultimate component in it. If rule C949 does apply to the encompassing derived type, then my test case could be non-conforming.

The compilers don’t complain and when I use this coding technique in a full running program everything works fine.

1 Like