Derived-type I/O: handling standard edit descriptors?

I have this simple example to test derived-type I/O: I’m playing with the edit descriptors to see what is allowed (on gfortran-12)

module test_dtio
    implicit none

type, public :: t
        character(10) :: c
        contains
          procedure, private :: t_write_formatted
          generic :: write(formatted) => t_write_formatted
    end type t

contains

! print "iotype" for debugging
    subroutine t_write_formatted(dtv,unit,iotype,v_list,iostat,iomsg)
    class(t), intent(in) :: dtv
    integer, intent(in) :: unit
    character(len=*), intent(in) :: iotype
    integer, intent(in) :: v_list(:)
    integer, intent(out) :: iostat
    character(len=*), intent(inout) :: iomsg
    character(len=80) :: buffer
    write(unit,'(A)',iostat=iostat,iomsg=iomsg) iotype
    end subroutine t_write_formatted

end module test_dtio

program test
    use test_dtio
    implicit none
    type(t) :: x

x = t('12345')

write(*,*) 'X=',x
    write(*,"(a,a)")'X=',x
    write(*,"(a,dt)")'X=',x

end program

The example returns:

X= LISTDIRECTED
X=
X=DT

So, it looks like the formatted write routine is not even called when using a non-derived-type specific edit descriptor? Is there any way I could redirect standard labels (A, I, Fw.d, …) in DTIO? The idea is that the derived type could be printed “as a string”, “as an integer”, etc.

See this thread for one example with NAMELIST facility which gives the basic idea on how to setup derived type IO: Read derived types from namelist - #4 by FortranFan

With DT option, the defined IO makes use of vlist received argument and parses the string in the format statement of the caller. You can look in the standard document (e.g., 18-007r1) for a write example.

Thank you for the example - yes, it seems like namelist, dt and listdirected (*) options are the only available ones.

Now let me better explain what I had in mind. E.g. let’s have a derived type for an engineering value with units:

type :: pressure
   real(real64), private :: p_Pa ! pressure value [Pa]
end type

Now, DT gives me the option to write output formats with several units:

type(pressure) :: p = pressure(101325.d0)
write(*,"(dt'bar')") p ! 1.01325
write(*,"(dt'atm')") p ! 1.00000, etc

However, I cannot use standard edit descriptors anymore, e.g. for the real number format, unless I wrap them into the dt descriptor again. In other words, if p is a real number, I can just run

real(real64) :: p = 101325.d0
write(*,"(f9.2)") p

but there is apparaently no way to define that for a derived type, as I would like to do the same like

write(*,"(f9.2)") p ! should print 101325.00

No, there isn’t the option with 'F' or 'G edit descriptors which makes sense because these format descriptors go with intrinsic types whereas a derived type is not such a type. Thus the standard went with DT.

What the standard allow is list-directed as in

write(*,*) p ! output will be as instructed in the defined IO method for write(formatted)

No, there isn’t the option with F or G edit descriptors which makes sense because these format descriptors go with intrinsic types whereas a derived type is not such a type. Thus the standard went with DT.

What the standard allows is list-directed IO as in

write(*,*) p ! output will be as instructed in the defined IO method for write(formatted)

As you are using gfortran, be aware that there are bugs making DT IO useless in conjunction with recursion and openmp. Even if you do not use this feature within a recursively called procedure or with openmp, just adding generic IO to a type and using/passing an object of such a type can crash a program compiled with gfortran.

2 Likes

You’re right, for example I’ve found that derived type variables with attached DTIO cannot be used as static elements, see this bug that I’ve recently reported. I hope to learn how to contribute patches soon, so far I’m stuck trying to compile gcc with clang on my M1 Mac, maybe I should get a unix machine instead.

Sorry if I revamp this discussion.

It’s my feeling that DTIO would be far more useful if the standard edit descriptors are also allowed for derived types (which could either implement them or not), so I’ve submitted this proposal to the fortran-lang feature proposals page:

Extend unformatted derived type input/output to default edit descriptors · Issue #288 · j3-fortran/fortran_proposals (github.com)

I hope it promotes an interesting discussion, either here or there.

1 Like

I must admit I am totally confused (annoyed) by “derived type IO”

My simple approach is to forget about all the complexity of derived type IO definition (which some compilers do not adequately support) and simply write out the components explicitly. This provides full access to the relevant edit descriptors

My simplified example of your test could be:

module test_dtio
    USE ISO_FORTRAN_ENV
    implicit none

type, public :: t
        character(10) :: c
    end type t

type :: pressure
       real(real64) :: p_Pa   ! pressure value [Pa]
       real(real64) :: height ! pressure height [metres]
    end type

end module test_dtio

program test
    use test_dtio
    implicit none
    type(t) :: x
    type(pressure):: p = pressure(101325.d0, 10.d0)

x = t('12345')

write (*,*) 'X=',x
    write (*,*) 'X=', x%c

write (*,*) p ! 1.01325
    write (*,fmt='(a,f0.4,2x,f0.4)') 'Pres=',p%p_Pa,p%height

end program

I like the idea of DTIO because it’s a do-it-once-use-it-forever kind of approach (also for binary I/O), but the way it has been thought of lakcs the ‘do-it-once’ part: the DT specifier is nothing else but a more flexible placeholder for A, Fw.d, etc., so why not allow the latter ones directly?

If I’m replacing some variables in a code with a derived type, I also need to change all formatted I/O flags wherever they’re being used. This I think could be solved with a very simple extension to the standard.