Risk of -fimplicit-none

@fortran4r , I assume your quoted comment implies you do not want to have to add the implicit none statement in your Fortran code, can you please confirm?

If so, please note you are not alone.

I’ve come across quite a few coders in teams in industry who have communicated the same want i.e., they do not want to have to introduce implicit none is every program unit, particularly INTERFACE blocks. Please see this thread: Eliminate implicit mapping

As to your question, please note the following: until and unless the standard makes implicit none the default and the compiler implementations conform to such true progress, it’s an incalculable risk to avoid it in your codes for actual work.

I, for one, avoid implicit none like the plague in any illustrative code I post online - I truly think it’s an abomination the state of Fortran circa 2021 requires it, but that’s just my view. Should I have to “code in anger” using Fortran, I would ensure implicit none is in effect explicitly in code in every program unit and INTERFACE body. It’s a shame, but that’s just how it is - take it or leave it, and many do leave.

2 Likes