Intel Fortran 2023 Launch

Fantastic. Kudos for the wonderful response.

@greenrongreen, I got a report of an ICE with IFX on one of my projects (when taking slices from a deferred length character component of a polymorphic derived type):

I haven’t yet got the chance to create a minimal reproducer, but can’t promise that I will come back to this before the weekend.

1 Like

Upcoming Developer Training

The Next Chapter for Intel® Fortran Compiler

Wednesday, February 1, 2023 | 9:00 AM PST

Learn the future of Intel® Fortran Compilers, including how they open up the world of GPU offloading to (and programming on) the latest Intel discrete processors.

Launched in December 2003, Intel® Fortran Compilers are pushing 20 years of global support for Windows, Linux, and macOS in generating code for IA-32 and -64 processor architectures.

This session focuses on the progress and features of the latest Fortran Compiler—known as IFX and based on LLVM—that supports oneAPI and OpenMP offload to Intel® GPUs, including 4th Gen Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors and Intel® Data Center GPUs.

Register to hear the Intel Fortran development team share the phenomenal progress, including:

• IFX achieving full Fortran 2018 language support, putting it on par with our Intel® Fortran Compiler Classic (IFORT).
  • IFX’s Fortran Standards support
  • Understanding IFX’s automatic offload of DO_CONCURRENT
  • Unpacking how to leverage IFX’s support for OpenMP offload on GPUs

Skill level: All

Featured software

Get the Intel Fortran Compiler as part of the Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit or get it standalone.

4 Likes

is it free to attend?

I didn’t notice any mention of a fee to attend, it’s about an hour-long informative webinar from the description, so it’s doubtful Intel will try to charge attendees. But you can try to register and see if it asks for payment - doubtful.

There are no fees for these webinars.
They are about 1 hour, and are recorded as well. There is a live Chat window where you can ask questions, and we’ll have our Fortran OpenMP architect and Standards Committee rep on hand watching the chat window, answering questions in the chat and having the speaker answer them as well it they aren’t covered sufficiently in the chat window. And we’ll have a couple of developers from the Fortran Front End also. It will be a lot like this article but I’d like to put in some live demos if time permits.

Keep up with all the latest from the Intel Fortran team on our Intel Fortran Community Forum, and on Twitter @iCompilersRon

Ron Green #IAmIntel

4 Likes

I am excited to run my codes with Intel Fortran 2023.

Should I uninstall my 2022 version or is there a command
to update it for Windows OS?

Many thanks!

A word of caution. I tried to install 2023 last night on a Linux Mint 19.3 system using the offline linux installer .sh file and it gagged on what it thought was corrupted components during its file validation pass (this was for both the PPP primatives and MKL). I then tried running with -a --cli and it then wouldnt run because it couldn’t handle XTERM set to xterm-color-256 (or something like that). I’ll try again tonight using the online installer. Also, you should check the Intel Fortran compiler forum and read up on some of the regressions/errors people have encountered with 2023.

1 Like

I also gave it a try and had a couple of ICE, one probably the same as mentioned by awvwgk caused by an array slice of deferred length character component of a polymorphic type. With some work-arounds I can compile my code, but run into a segfault when deallocating a poymorphic tree structure (no reproducer yet).

Here is a short reproducer for the character slice ICE (already reported on intel forum):

Character slice:

program string_slice

type :: t
   character(len=:), allocatable :: cs
end type t
class(t), allocatable :: x

allocate(t :: x)
x%cs = 'abcdef123456'
print *, first(x%cs(7:))

contains

function first(cs) result(d)
   character(len=1) :: d
   character(len=*), intent(in) :: cs
   d = cs(1:1)
end function first

end program string_slice
2 Likes

We have a fix for this (GPFR) bug. It’s in the pipeline and I’ll track it to see if it makes the Update 1 release. We’re close to code freeze for the next update but I think this fix will make it in.

Just arrived in my Ubuntu:

$ ifx --version
ifx (IFX) 2023.1.0 20230320
Copyright (C) 1985-2023 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

$ ifort --version
ifort (IFORT) 2021.9.0 20230302
Copyright (C) 1985-2023 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
2 Likes

We should be officially launching this Update 1 very soon. We’re still getting packages uploaded and verified to the various repos and our own Intel Registration Center. Announcement coming soon.

7 Likes