Google Summer of Code 2021

@marshallward do you want to join forces on LFortran? It has a quite complete parser for Fortran that you can reuse for flint. I can help.

I will be 30 min late for the call.

I have added several LFortran projects: GSoC 2021 Project ideas Ā· fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org Wiki Ā· GitHub

@marshallward and I added an idea for a tokenizer that both Flint and LFortran could use: GSoC 2021 Project ideas Ā· fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org Wiki Ā· GitHub

I just completed the online application. I have updated the wiki with exactly the answers that are submitted:

We still have time to modify things until the deadline.

Here are things that you should go over and make sure you agree with it:

1. The first answer that I had to shorten.

2. The short and long description in the Profile: GSoC 2021 Organization Application Ā· fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org Wiki Ā· GitHub

3. Application instructions: GSoC 2021 Organization Application Ā· fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org Wiki Ā· GitHub, I copied it from student instructions wiki: GSoC 2021 Student instructions Ā· fortran-lang/fortran-lang.org Wiki Ā· GitHub, notice the hardwired links that we canā€™t modify.

4. Proposal tags

We still have to finish a patch requirement (working on it now) and a student template here:

2 Likes

Ok, I just finished a rough patch requirement and a student template. Letā€™s expand it as we have time. Remember not to touch the headings, as links to both sections are in the Google application.

2 Likes

I just edited the first answer to make fit the outstanding sentence, see the diff here:

2 Likes

Thanks Milan. Can you update this answer in the online application also?

1 Like

Done! ā€¦

1 Like

I think we are all set. Thank you everybody for your help!

Hey everyone!

Iā€™m Rachitt,I was interested to work the FPM project idea for the upcoming GSoC.

Iā€™ve worked with Fedoraā€™s rpm ostree a bit before,and contributed to KDE under their season of KDE.

Looking forward to contributing soon!

3 Likes

Hello,
Myself Avinash Vijayvargiya, a 2nd year student of VIT,Pune

I like to contribute in Revamping Fortran Standard Library ( Strings).
Can someone guide me how to get started?

3 Likes

Welcome to the Discourse @rachitt and @avinash! Itā€™s great to see your interest in working with Fortran-lang!

If you havenā€™t already, do read the student instructions and project ideas pages. Next steps will be to familiarise yourself with the organisation repositories (fpm and stdlib), particularly with the open issues and discussions, and to start thinking about contributing a PR for the patch requirement. Feel free to post your ideas and questions here on the Discourse for feedback and discussion.

2 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome @lkedward !

Iā€™m reading the docs for fpm,and looking at the issues related to the project ideas.

Iā€™ll familiarise myself with the codebase and try to send in a small patch for the area of interest to the project.

Will ask questions here or on the mailing list :smiley:

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
I am Karan Kapoor from India, I came across this organization in this yearā€™s Google Summer of Code.
I am in my final year of an engineering course.
In past, I have used FORTRAN for a research project. The research project was mostly about Computational Fluid Dynamics, how we can reduce the computational cost of the current in use commercially available codes in the industry. My mentor suggested me to use FORTRAN as it is widely language in academia, for modelling physics systems.
As for experience related to algorithms , I have used Fast Fourier Transform to make the process of convergence much faster, and did a comparative study that how FFT can be use full compared to other commonly used methods like Cholesky Decompistion method.
I would really like to contribute in the high priority projects of LFortran .
I am a beginner in using Github, but I hope my experience in FORTRAN and C++, could help in this project.
Thankyou very much

3 Likes

Hello everyone!,
I am Aman, a final year undergraduate at IIT Delhi.
Familiarity with languages: Python, Java, OCaml
Background: Textile and Fibre Engineering (Engineering)
Geographical Locations: India
Language: English
I have a strong background in algorithms and data structures and thus I want to work on projects where my skills are put to best use. Thus, I am looking forward to work on stdlib strings project in GSoC 2021.

2 Likes

Welcome @tanweeralii908, @KaranKapoor, and @Aman!

@tanweeralii908 I just tagged a few stdlib issues as ā€œGood first issueā€:

Please take a look and see if youā€™d like to tackle any of those.

@KaranKapoor Iā€™m sure @certik will be able to point you to some good first issues in LFortran.

@Aman Take a look around at the issues and also the current strings implementation by @awvwgk (merged today) and think about how we would best take it forward. Thereā€™s also the open PR by @arjenmarkus about a string array type. Any small improvement (e.g. in docs or tests) in those modules or any other would be fine for a patch requirement.

2 Likes

@milancurcic Hey!,
I wanted to know if this is the best place to have technical discussion regarding strings project? Or is there any other place dedicated to strings projectā€™s discussion?
Thank you.

Iā€™d say for technical discussion specific to a project or feature, open a new issue (or write in an existing issue thread) in the specific GitHub repository. That way we can discuss more high-level things here and specific technical details there.

2 Likes

Hi @KaranKapoor, welcome. Why donā€™t you try to compile LFortran from source and run tests, here is a guide: Installation - LFortran Documentation.

I marked several issues as ā€œEasy to fixā€: Issues Ā· lfortran / lfortran Ā· GitLab, you are welcome to try to fix any of those.

If you get stuck either with building LFortran or trying to fix some of those issues, please let me know and I can help.

Thanks for guiding me milan. I planned to start with meshgrid issue.

Hey everyone,I am looking to work on - Version constraint resolution,however,since this project is also attached to other package managers,Iā€™m reading about Conda , NPM, however I wasnā€™t able to find specific docs for version compatibility matching for fpm.

I would love to hear about possible ideas and share ideas as well for implementation of the same.

cc : @everythingfunctional @awvwgk