Gfortran on Windows for classroom setting

Now opencoarray also supports Windows-gfortran. With the support of Intel oneAPI mpi^3.0, this is a new feature that was implemented in the first half of this year. I have successfully tested it before, but I have no need to actually use mpi/coarray.

1 Like

We just finished a MOM6 workshop and many Windows users successfully used Ubuntu WSL, which did not require Conda.

It was the Macs which gave us the most trouble, especially from undesired Conda-Homebrew interaction. Windows and Linux were mostly pain free.

1 Like

I use a macOS and I do not use Homebrew, as it sets up all kinds of stuff systemwide. The GFortran in conda-forge segfaults sometimes. I install GFortran using Spack, and that seems to work pretty well.

I just started using Homebrew a few months ago on Macs. Before that, for the past 20 years, I have been using the fink package manager. Homebrew on Apple arm64 hardware installs in its own place within /opt. Homebrew on intel hardware installs in /usr. I much prefer the former, even though you need to change PATH.

2 Likes

FYI: It turns out, the Fortran Playground was perfect for this. Obviously, not ideal for anything complicated, but for showing beginners basic stuff, it was great!

3 Likes