Computations with units (meters, seconds, ...)

I agree with @certik and @pmk above.

As a practicing engineer and scientist, already have an inhouse, proprietary, and also user-friendly library solution that is workable. The same situation applies to many other teams and products, particularly in the commercial domains. Thus there is little to no interest in anything different i.e., unless it’s part of the Fortran language and is also compile-time in nature.

In another thread, I am trying to encourage Fortran standard-bearers and its Community to start envisioning enhanced compile-time functionality.

Along the same vein, I encourage anyone interested in the topic of this thread to see this paper by Dos Reis and Stroustrup. See how their vision for enhanced constant expression support as well as compile-time computing and reduced or zero runtime overheads is enabled as well as illustrated by a scientific use case, the one involving physical quantities and unit-of-measure conversions.

Fortran needs the same kind of visionary thinking and practitionary zeal as those shown by Dos Reis and Stroustrup et al. for other languages. Unfortunately so much of the thinking around Fortran is relentlessly clouded and hampered by a focus on costs rather than better formula translation that consequently helps advance science, technology, engineering, etc. whose benefits to life and the planet are immeasurably positive.

1 Like